Re: Eating fox? (Aldi).

"Craig Graham" wrote | When I first became aware of Aldi, the staff had to learn all the | prices by heart every week or month (I think week) and were tested.

Kwik Save used to do that before barcode scanning tills were introduced - the saving on not having to put price stickers on every item was about 2-3% margin.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Andy Hall" wrote | >I just walked out with mine. (This was before magnetic wheel locks and | >CCTV.) I didn't even buy anything. I did feel a little nervous as I overtook | >two police officers with a portable telly and a trouser press in a borrowed | >Tesco trolley but I obviously look law-abiding because they didn't stop me. | This is probably the theory that if you make something so brazen that | it's implausible then you'll get away with it.

I proved that theory with homework excuses :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

And who pays for all this, not the people who borrow the trolleys, most would bring it back the next shopping trip (and then remove it again to go back home) and the ones that don't return the trolley have themselves a cheap trolley - which the retailer than has to replace at the true market value....

You will soon be complaining that the prices are rising, or that you now have to [pay to use a trolley.

Reply to
Jerry.

Very obvious. The people who want to borrow the trollies. Collect a £10 deposit and refund £9. This may teach them to make their own arrangements. A low cost lesson is self sufficiency.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hi,

Taking an empty trolly from near where you park it allows it's handling and pushability to be checked, plus saves the shop rounding them up and taking them back.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

How about making this £1 refundable on return; they could also use some kind of trolley mounted mechanism to save on staff costs? Can't see anyone having a problem with that?

My patent alternative: how about a vinyl bag on a lightweight chromed frame. Two wheels, a handle and a leg, maybe even make the bag in a variety of tartan patterns?

Reply to
Toby

That's probably what Andy uses!

Reply to
Bob Eager

"Toby" wrote | Andy Hall wrote: | > Collect a £10 deposit and refund £9. | > This may teach them to make their own arrangements. | > A low cost lesson is self sufficiency. | My patent alternative: how about a vinyl bag on a lightweight chromed frame. | Two wheels, a handle and a leg, maybe even make the bag in a variety of | tartan patterns?

Cheaper for the punter to nick the supermarket trolley and lose the tenner.

Has the tartan shopping trolley been brought out in the Burberry check? Only way of giving it street cred AFAICS.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Bob Eager" wrote | > My patent alternative: how about a vinyl bag on a lightweight | > chromed frame. Two wheels, a handle and a leg, maybe even make | > the bag in a variety of tartan patterns? | That's probably what Andy uses!

No, Andy will have his shopping delivered by Waitburys. To save waiting in, he's probably got a shopping-sized mailbox the delivery person can leave the boxes in, with separate climate controlled compartments for chilled and frozen foods, imported from Denmark and powered by a small thermal engine running off a dedicated loop on the central heating system.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Every single supermarket and shed in London do it - but not at all branches. It depends on local conditions, I suppose. The local Savacentre has grids to prevent trolleys being removed from their car park, and I once saw a middle aged couple lifting a full one over this grid...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Our local Sainburys bought 200 new trolleys and within days 50 had gone missing and been replaced with old ones!

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Each to his own.

It's giving you the option to not pay for something you may not want.

Would you rather all electrical stores forced you to pay for an extended warranty "included in the product price". "It's part of the service we provide, Sir!"

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

This is not the same thing. A carrier bag, if needed, costs a fraction of a penny.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nah. Too small.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nope.

Now there's an idea.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I hadn't realised, but apparently it's the case, that standard pikey uniform is a Burberry hat of some sort. Very odd.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Then they are rather stupid. They employ store detectives and use video to prevent other goods walking, so the logical thing would be to have somebody organising the trollies.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reminds me, the thing that separates the front compartment from the rest of the trolly is an ideal grid for a small BBQ :)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

"Andy Hall" wrote | >| Two wheels, a handle and a leg, maybe even make the bag in a variety of | >| tartan patterns? | >Has the tartan shopping trolley been brought out in the Burberry check? | >Only way of giving it street cred AFAICS. | I hadn't realised, but apparently it's the case, that standard pikey | uniform is a Burberry hat of some sort. Very odd.

There was a sketch (I think on Chewin The Fat) of a 'ned' household. The neds, wearing Burberry clothes, were sitting on a Burberry check sofa. The camera pulled pack to show the Burberry check wallpaper and the Burberry check curtains.

The scene was the preparation for a wedding. The bride entered wearing a dress trimmed with Burberry check and the bridesmaids were all wearing Burberry check. The groom was probably in a Burberry check kilt. (I mistyped that as Burberry check klit, then realised he was probably in that as well).

For those whose 'broo' won't stretch to the real thing, Tesco used to have quite a natty almost-but-not-quite-Burberry check tie (ideal for court appearances).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If only you did! (get what you pay for) (BTW, I had some really delicious peaches from Stockport Aldi last summer) My best example is Bockwurst. The local supermarkets (Somerfield and Kwik Save) both only sell Plumrose or own brand, both of whose ingredients include chicken and turkey (mechanically separated.) Yuck! The Lidl and Aldi versions do not, are cheaper and are delicious. (Microwave for a few tens of seconds & into a butty they go.) Other favourites are Niersteiner Spaetlese white wine at £2.49 a bottle, various German lagers (brewed to the Rheinheitsgebot or something:Proper stuff anyway, unlike most of the English.attempts like Carling,Foster's etc. yet cheaper,) Frikadellen, mini salami and smoked pork sausage, which are either unavailable or expensive locally. I also slightly prefer Aldi's instant coffee to Nescafe Gold. I suppose I could try some of the bigger supermarkets again, but I really can't be bothered to traipse round looking through all their many offerings in the hope of eventually stumbling across ones I like. Martin.

Reply to
Martin Crossley