Re: Eating fox? (Aldi).

That is *not* what you said (or implied) originally, thank you for clarification that you were commenting on your personal perceptions of taste and 'quality' based (I suspect) solely on the packaging of some products !

Reply to
Jerry.

It isn't an issue of honesty but one of inconvenience and poos customer service.

The simple solution to that is for the supermarkets to make it part of somebody's job to make sure that the trollies don't disappear and to round up any that do. As I mentioned in another post, both of my kids worked during their school holidays at a local supermarket. The local authority fines the supermarket (IIRC £1000 a time) for trollies found outside the car park. This encourages the supermarkets to round up any wayward ones.

The cost of having somebody for part of their job (20% max) rounding up trollies is very small indeed in the context of the running of a supermarket.

Exactly. With a bit of intelligence, it is possible to come up with solutions that do the required job without resorting to stupid coin deposits.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Andy Hall" wrote | >And in some of those neighbourhoods (a) a tenner for the | >trolley would be more than the customer can spend on a | >week's food | Possibly, although if they are only spending a tenner on food, | they probably don't need a trolley to take it home.

By my rough reckoning you can get 2,749 kilogrammes of Tesco Value baked beans for a tenner.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I can believe that !... :~)

Reply to
Jerry.

It was *exactly what I said if you read all of the posts.

I'm not interested in packaging. Frankly the food industry grossly overpackages, and not always for reasons of delivering the product undamaged.. You may want to make your chums in the industry aware of that.

I'm certainly interested in taste - in every sense of the word.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In my view they are part of the service that the store should provide.

I'm aware of that. I just prefer to have the cost included in the product price.

At present, if a store charges for carrier bags, I vote with my feet and buy elsewhere. Generally it is only the cheapskate places that are charging and I don't believe for one moment that it has anything to do with some environmental high ideal.

It is very simple to make carrier bags recyclable by making them better quality or biodegradable.

At the point that *all* supermarkets charge for bags then I would probably take my own cart as well, because I suspect that that would be a better solution.

The Waitrose store near us had a good idea, which was to provide regular customers with foldable plastic hampers which fit their trollies. This was done free of charge and has been a great success. You wheel the troilley to the car and lift out the hamper and put it in the back. That makes much more sense.

You're obviously shopping in the wrong places. There is nothing wrong with proper customer service which addresses what the customer wants. I don't call waiting 20 minutes in a queue at a checkout efficiency. OK, the price on the receipt may be slightly less, but it will have cost me far more in terms of time to wait that 20 minutes. A false economy.

I can understand that there are people who prefer to pare the bill down to the minimum and have all day. Sorry but I don't.

I haven't noticed that happening at all.

I don't go to them any more because of the free-for-all of goods all over the mucky floors, non-existent staff and long wait.

Very easily. There are enormous differences between different kinds of natural mineral water depending on where they are from - e.g. whether the soil is volcanic, calcium bearing, etc.

Not ones that keep my custom.

It is an education to visit one of the large supermarkets in France such as Auchan or LeClerc.

They are able to manage superb displays of excellent produce, properly selected and maintained. The prices are typically less than in the UK.

The problem is the mentality that people have that if it's piled in a crate it must be cheap. All that is achieved is piling rubbish in a crate and selling it cheaply. For some reason people think that that is good.

I've never had customer service in a Lidl or an Aldi because there is hardly anyone around.

True. But as in all things you get what you pay for and for the most part this is true of food as well.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I very much do.

At what kind of quality level and for how many days?

I suppose if you want to live on own brand baked beans it might be possible.

Personally I don't.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Simple. If you want to remove trolley from carpark on foot, then you pay.

There must be a geographical factor in this. I don't see it happening at all. More typically if somebody tries to leave a trolley where they shouldn't, another customer will point it out or if it's somebody with small kids, the trolley man will return the trolley for them.

Probably a matter of geography I suspect.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

It could simply be down to there being less customers...

Reply to
Jerry.

I love aldi because on a Saturday I have better things to do with my time than wade through 18 different brands of baked beans. And I know i would not be able to resist calculating if the the "buy one, get one free" offer is really good value or a con. The shopping is Sooo much quicker when there is one of everything...

My wife and I had our very first argument over the brand of peas to buy in the local sainsburys 15 years ago!

Philip

Reply to
philip cosson

Well then. That's potentially a solution for two problems. WIth suitable plumbing, enough methane could be collected to run the central heating.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

This is probably the theory that if you make something so brazen that it's implausible then you'll get away with it.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

And who enforces this? And who watches over him as he's carrying lots of tenners.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Easy.

Barrier around carpark and magnetic grids and wheel locks as some supermarkets have done prevents unauthorised removal from the area.

Car park attendant in cabin collects deposits from those wishing to borrow trollies.

I think in practice that only a very small minority would want to borrow a trolley anyway and would quickly come up with their own transport arrangement home anyway. After all, countless old ladies manage it.

Then, quite rightly, the minority who want to take a supermarket owned trolley away can do so without the majority of customers being inconvenienced; or they can choose to make their own arrangements.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Potatos are very reasonable, and decent quality, they have nice broccoli, onions, carrots, tinned tomatos. (I checked, the only ingredient in the tomatos is tomatoes and preservative.) If you'r willing to actually cook the stuff, you can come up with meals quite cheaply. A horrible shame is that food preperation is not taught in all schools to all pupils. Everyone should at least be taught (or have to demonstrate pre-existing competancy) in making simple dishes, such as basic spaghetti dishes with a can of chopped tomatoes, a pinch of oregano, some onion and bacon, or what you can do cheaply with a stock cube and some potatos.

Edible food that's not too complex or slow to make, and is cheap. And teach at least a large part of it with microwaves.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In message , Jerry. writes

FEWER

please! (that misuse really annoys me - sorry)

Reply to
me

Aldi here does. And I've been very grateful for them, although my perspective would seem to make me somewhat more tolerant than you.

Reply to
Craig Graham

In some ways it's better; firstly because of fewer staff, secondly because they seem more motivated and thirdly because I think the staff have to be a bit more intelligent. And before anyone hassles me for that latter comment, I spent several years working part time in Sainsbury's and know of what I speak. When I first became aware of Aldi, the staff had to learn all the prices by heart every week or month (I think week) and were tested. I wouldn't be able to do that.

I don't shop very often at the Aldi here, yet several of the staff make comments that indicate they recognise me. Try getting that from the bigger stores- I rarely registered customer faces at all. And the one time I had a complaint with an item, it was replaced no hassle. Okay, it's not Asda's present "200% refund" but a replacement and apology is the main thing- the money is generally pretty meaningless.

Reply to
Craig Graham

I've taken to doing my major shops at FarmFoods (in my naivety I thought it was a fancy organic place until I happened to walk by one a year or so back) and for branded products (San Marco pizzas, Patak ready meals etc) they are a lot cheaper than Tesco or Iceland - though much less choice of course. I'm happy to eat what's available rather than insisting on x regardless of price.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

But *what* a wriggler, even when in a minority of one, and presenting transparently fallacious arguments that even the IMM one one of his water softening crusades would probably be ashamed of! ROFL!

Hang on... you don't think that "IMM" and "Andy Hall" are one and the same, do you? They spend so much time in their symbiosis.... trying to be "posh".... maybe the lady doth protest *too* much??

This'd go down a storm on uk.rec.food+drink.misc, I bet... much more OT there too.... unfortunately I can't x-post.

Reply to
Jerry Built