Re: Dibnah is Dead :-(

Subject: Dibnah is Dead :-(

>From: Terry S snipped-for-privacy@the.spam >Date: 06/11/04 19:06 GMT Standard Time >Message-id: > >TV steeplejack Fred Dibnah, 66, has >lost his three-year fight against >cancer only weeks after filming his >final television series. > >Bolton-born Mr Dibnah, who became an >unlikely celebrity, spurned treatment >to tour the UK on a traction engine as >part of a 12-part BBC Two series. > >Mr Dibnah cancelled all engagements in >September after he was taken ill during >filming Made In Britain. > >He died on Saturday surrounded by >friends and family at Bolton Hospice. >

Bugger. He was a top bloke and a real character. He'll be missed.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Certainly is.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

Very sad. Wonderful man. He did wonders to preserve our industrial heritage.

Reply to
IMM

Sad news indeed. I remember reading that Fred would rather jump off one of his chimneys than go through a long illness. I'm not surprised he wanted to carry on working and refused treatment. He will no doubt be examining the construction of the pearly gates and marvelling at the workmanship. Bless him.

Reply to
Zadok

There is no one comparable waiting in the wings to take his place. What is to happen with the plethora of traction engines and other gadgetry that surrounded his home and his life? I didn't realise he was so young. I thought he was past 70. A very great shame.

MM

Reply to
MM

A part of the image was to dress Victorian/early 20th century, which made hom look older. He is only around the age of John Lennon, although appeared much older.

Reply to
IMM