Re: Delay on HD channels

BBC HD is currently showing the same as BBC 2, but with a delay of 21

> seconds. What causes such a big delay? > > -- Richard >

Because the information density of HD television is higher the signals interact with the atmosphere rather more. You can visualise it as the signal having a rougher 'surface' (because there are more bits sticking out). The effect of this is to delay the speed that the signal travels through the air. This is what we scientists call 'propagation delay'.

So it might be 21 seconds where you are Richard, but for other viewers it could be much more or much less.

The effect is much stronger in areas where the air is polluted, so in Barnsley programmes can arrive several days late. Unfortunately this effect causes (as Einstein predicted) a 'time dilation'effect, so people living on the other side of Barnsley (for example) receive signals that are bent around the Barnsley zone. Since the signals can go around Barnsley both ways (the new one-way system has no relevance) these viewers receive their signals twice. This explains all the +1 channels.

Obviously satellite signals have to through a lot of atmosphere since they are very high up (probably ten miles or more), and this explains why the men in Top Gear on the satellite channels always have 1970s haircuts and are testing Ford Cortinas.

There is a related problem called 'phase delay' in which the top of the picture is delayed more than the bottom. This is why people on Eastenders sometimes don't seem to know whether they're coming or going. Luckily the BBC Engineering Dept have found a complete solution to phase delay, involving a relatively simple alteration to the way television programmes are made. At first there were problems with the actors' uniion but these have been settled. Actors are paid to come and paid to go irrespective of which they do first, but where they are called upon to come and go simultaneously they get time and a half.

Incidentally I just looked this up on Wikipaedia and found nothing. That's a gap in human knowledge that needs to be filled, so I'll be expanding the material I've covered here and making an entry. Can anyone else contribute to this as I feel that my knowledge, although extensive, is incomplete.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes, you forgot to mention that electrons travel backwards in time in some parts of the country and turn into positrons.

Reply to
John Legon

Absolutely brilliant. Well written.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I don't know very much about the technical aspects of digital TV but have an interest in the subject. Quite a few posts on the newsgroup are uninteresting but those from Mr Wright are always succint and informative. Is is rare that someone with such a detailed grasp of things technical can explain things in a simple manner so that even people such as myself can begin to understand them. But there is still one thing which I do not comprehend at all about this. Is it not possible that the revolution of the sun round the earth may also be causing propagation delays?

Reply to
JohnT

Ah yes! The 'Norfolk' effect.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Thank you. It's pretty easy though. The facts present themselves to me with crystal clear logic and certainty every Friday night. This is convenient because I'm usually far to drunk to watch telly, so writing them down gives me something to do.

I often write letters to the newspapers at the same time, explaining really obvious ways that all the world's problems could be solved. Unfortunately vested interests conspire with the editors and my letters are rarely published.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

NO, this is the Norfolk Effect:

Wiggins' sideburns to the fore!

Reply to
Davey

No. Most of the propagation delays this year have been due to the wet spring. A lot of our runner beans didn't germinate at all.

Reply to
nemo

Could you kindly invite the Sunday Times compositors to move their soduko puzzles up a bit so they don't coincide with the page fold?

Thanks in anticipation.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

snip

;>))))

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

At least in folk in Barnsley can get by with cheap equipment. Down here in the south with less air pollution we have to resort to very large tri-boom aerials in order to get the phase delays required for 3D TV and

3.1 Dolby audio. The broadcasters are attempting to improve the situation by increasing the power at the transmitters and now that I can receive signals from 5 transmitters Dolby 5.1 may just be possible on terrestrial TV.
Reply to
alan

but but but he wouldn't be able to see properly!

Reply to
PeterC

This has different consequences, because of the Kraus-Bonnheimer differential leading edge effect. Discovered as early as 1665 and published in 1678 (Journal des Savants, No. 317, p34) the effect results in

Reply to
Bill Wright

I wonder if you also have in mind the later work that used dispersion in the interstellar plasma to get distance measurements to pulsars in our galaxy?

Slainte,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Lesurf

ROFL! you had me going there for a minute!

Reply to
newshound

I know Richard and Judy have been around for some time, but to suggest Kraus-Bonnheimer was having trouble receiving them in 1665 is pushing the realms of believability a bit.

Steve Terry

Reply to
Steve Terry

Was that not Professor Pillinger with Beagle 2?

Reply to
JohnT