Re: Buying a new mattress and Ikea

We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one

> 200x140x10cm for £60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a > thicker one elswhere for the same money? Also we are wondering if 10cm > is a bit thin, although we do prefer a firmer mattress and we use a > mattress pad.

If it is 'foam' it will lose its springiness and quickly.

Only mattress of this type that lasts is Dunlopillow. And you won't get one of those cheaply.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Things to note about Ikea:

- Their beds are often non-standard sizes so you may /have/ to buy an Ikea mattress.

- If you are not collecting the mattress yourself you may find Ikea delivery rates extortionate.

- Shopping in Ikea is a nightmare.

- £60 for a mattress is "too cheap". I would get a better one myself.

Reply to
Mark

Non-standard sizes apply to more than Ikea

Again, this is a general problem with mattresses, especially to the northern half of the UK mainland which is usually described by carriers, fraudulently, as "an island." In this connection, foam mattresses tend to attract less horrendous carriage charges as they can be vacuum-packed into an easy-to-handle roll.

Agreed. However, the problem is compounded by too many retailers selling mattresses that aren't even worth =A360 for several times that price. It can be rather difficult to ensure that one's getting value for money.

John

Reply to
John MacLeod

Dunlopillo are latex foam rather than normal polyurethane foam though... and as you say the price of em is 'kin scary

(just been looking at replacing our 18 year old kingsize one - a like for like swap would something like £1200) Interesting to note that Ikea claim to also have a latex version at about a third of the price. Might be interesting to see how it compares.

Reply to
John Rumm

Really? We've been using our 'foam' mattress for about 13 years, and it's still very comfortable.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

What make is it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But we are talking about Ikea. I, foolishly, bought an Ikea bunk bed for my kids and the only place I can find a mattress that fits it is Ikea.

They don't from Ikea. All mattress are sent by "Truck delivery" and prices are "from £35" (this is cheaper than it used to be!). I paid less than that for delivery of a washing machine!

Indeed. Buying "cheap" virtually guarantees poor quality but buying expensive does not guarantee good quality.

Reply to
Mark

Well, they're metric sizes aren't they? What do you expect? You could go to France and bring one back.

In Geneva in 1980 I bought my bed from Ikea and the mattress from a department store; I still have both. It's 150 wide and the extra 10cm or so above a standard UK double makes a lot of difference.

Reply to
Tim Streater

My daughter has a £149 foam mattress that arrived in a vacuum packed roll and that is fine after 4 years. She thinks its the best mattress she has had. One inch thick when packed, 6" when opened.

Reply to
dennis