Re: bet it doesn't arrive

arrived in one day...wow

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

can't get one of the bolts off....bloody front wheel drive

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

That's what angle grinders are for, This is uk.d-i-y

Reply to
Fredxx

3 foot scaffold bar on the wheelbrace Jim.

If it still doesn't budge, position the brace and bar so that the end of the 'extension' is just above ground, pointing towards the back of the car, then *carefully* reverse back very slightly to use the cars weight and engine power as leverage to unwind the nut.

Do this while the other ?3 nuts are still clamping the wheel !

Reply to
Andrew

no no it was the bolts on the starter....

can't start it....ha ha

got the two bolts out this morning and the start is stuck in place.....just going now to use some brute force

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

I believe this is a bolt to hold on the starter, not a wheel.

Not sure why Jim can't get it off. Perhaps location, or highly torqued, or both?

Reply to
Fredxx

IME rust is the most common culprit.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I suspect Jim does not have an impact driver. Even an electric one is pretty good at shifting stubborn nuts.

It could be that this bolt goes through a flange in the bell housing and the end is exposed to salt etc on the other side. The expanded rusty end of the bolt then jams in the threads. Carefully grinding this bit with an angle driver before attempting to remove it might help as will liberal application of plus-gas or similar.

Reply to
Andrew

Not sure of the car Jim has, but I suspect the gearbox is an aluminium alloy, with a steel bolt. Aluminium does have a habit of corroding and clinging onto a steel bolt.

It's one reason why I purchased a set of long handled combination spanners, to get some additional leverage without resorting to some dodgier measure to increase torque.

Reply to
Fredxx

It's difficult to beat the grunt of a long handled spanner. There are many YouTube examples where an impact driver has failed and a long combination spanner possibly in conjunction with a tube is successful.

It's that initial movement you need, and I doubt grinding the visible end of the bolt will assist. Applying local heat to the bell-housing might help.

Reply to
Fredxx

location

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

no rust hit it with a big cold chisel and a mash hammer

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

got a manual one but no space to get it in

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

well that is the £12 delivered starter fitted and it started first time....there is NO working space in a wagon r

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

Put a spanner/socket + handle on it and hit the end of the spanner with a lump hammer.

Reply to
alan_m

What did it take to get the stuck bit off ? Torch ?

Paul

Reply to
Paul

yip