Re: Air Conditioning unit advice wanted

unit and it drops the temp of my bedroom (4M x 4M) by about 10 degrees. I agree about the vent pipe - you can either use the foam rubber sheet they supply you with but with hinged windows (as against sliding windows) you still end up with huge gaps to let in the hot air and as you the alterntive is a 4" hold through the wall........BUT in a true diy fashion i built myself a window wedge from scrap wood that fits in the opening of the window when its about 1/3 open with a hole for the vent pipe and sealed round the edges with pipe insulation. So not i just need to open the window to it fullest extend, then shut it on the wedge and insert the vent pipe - it makes a good seal all round including top and bottom.......it works great....only problem is it is a bit on the large size but still it works

gin

Reply to
Gin Smith

take a look at

lots of split units and very helpful on the phone - i will be buying from them later this year

gin

Reply to
Gin Smith

There is a dining room under the flat roof - which isn't used a huge amount. Wonder if the vibration would cause any cracking on the internal ceiling/walls?

In terms of noise - I'm figuring there aren't any noise control laws that would stop me using these? We are in a terraced house and the neighbours bedroom window would be about 10ft away (approx. same level) from where I plan to place the condensor unit.

My main worry (and the reason I asked about fixing the unit) is someone nicking the condensor. The unit would be easily visible from the street - our house is second one in from the street. Do these things get stolen?!

One of the replies in this thread mentioed globalcooling.org.uk. Would be interested in hearing on your experience once the AC has been installed at your place.

Cheers all.

Al.

Reply to
Al

No, just a hum. Imagine your fridge with a compressor some 10 times the power.

I would say that's far too close, given their window is likely to be wide open and possibly trying to sleep in there when your AC is running. Also, they might pick up a large amount of the hot air on occasion.

Not often -- they aren't really any use by themselves. We did have one taken from someplace I worked a long time ago, but we were told that was rather unusual.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I my very rough an ready experience of aircon 1kW of heat input to a space needs at least 1kW of air con to keep that space cool.

Something bigger than 9,000BTU or around 3kW. B-) Might have to start thing about a separate spur to provide it's power...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Common misconception I think - IIUC the power rating of the aircon relates to how much heat it can *move*, not how much electrical power it consumes.

Since these things simply move heat from one place to another, they can appear to be more than 100% efficent. i.e. you will often find a 2kW air con will consume say 800W of electrical power.

(this is why the heat pump versions can be quite economical when used for heating in the winter - they are reclaiming more "free" heat from outside than they consume doing it).

Reply to
John Rumm