Re: Advice to remove a "threaded" allen key screw

Peter Parry wrote:

> >> Unless you have tried really hard there is a good chance there are >> [snip] > > > Well time to swallow my pride then. I sorted it last night, I purchased > one hacksaw to attempt the screwdriver trick, but as I was in the > hardware shop I absent mindedly thought I'd buy a *proper* set of allen > keys too. > > Guess what; the proper 3mm sized allen key worked first time after all. > So my problem all along was using the wrong size key blind due to > wanting to get the job done quickly. >

Yup.

You need metric AND imperial keys. Same with spanners.

1/16" is 1.6mm. 1.5mm slips... 3/32" is 2.4mm...slips in a 2.5mm.. 7/64" is 2.8mm ...slips in a 3mm..

1/8" is 3.2mm...and a 3mm will slip...

As I said before, it's all part of _the learning experience_ :D > > Dan
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You could always carefully drill it out

Reply to
geoff

In message , Dave Plowman writes

And when the tip breaks off, you are truly in the shit

experience talking here

Reply to
geoff