Re: £300 to replace consumer unit

Just been quoted £300 parts and labour to replace an old fuse

> box with new consumer unit. Is this a reasonable quote?

It is pretty much a going rate, AIUI.

The parts are only about £50 but I believe the new part-p > regulations prevent me doing the work.

Part P doesn't prevent you doing the work. However, if you do so legally, you'll have to pay for an inspection, which might not be cheap.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

"d-i-Why?!" wrote

***Just been quoted £300 parts and labour to replace an old fuse box with a new consumer unit. Is this a reasonable quote? The parts are only about £50 but I believe the new part-p regulations prevent me doing the work.***

Need to check this with your own Building Control Dept but:

If you are competent to do the work yourself it should be possible to:

Advise BCO of work to be done (issue building notice) Pay fee for BCO inspection (about £70 IIRC for upto £1000 value work) Co-ordinate for them to inspect/test on completion, but prior to energising!

May differ between councils and it is worth checking that they are capable of and willing to test.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

============================ If you're competent to do the job do it and then apply for a 'Regularisation Certificate' from your local Council. They are obliged to do the testing for the cost of the certificate only (about £70-00p) and if they decide to appoint an outside contractor to do the testing (because of their own lack of competent testers) they're NOT allowed to pass on the cost of testing to you.

I did this about 6 months ago and my local Council confirmed that things are as I've described.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I had an old fuse box replaced (before Part P) but less than 2 years ago. For labour only I was charged less than £100 ..in Liverpool

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

we had a discussion on this a while ago, and worked out that the paperwork got completed in less than 1% of such jobs. The important question is are you competent.

Its also worth mentioning that fuseboxes do get replaced with no good reason many a time.

NT

Another vague unsubstantiated comment from NT. To put my mind at rest, would electrical credentials do you have ??

Steve Dawson ( At risk of a flaming )

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

My council (StocktonBC) quote 100+vat for building notice, plus an extra 200 (inc Vat) for an inspection if you don't provide an approved certificate. I thought that had been outlawed. I doubt if I would tell them when I change mine (in late 2004 if I'm asked).

Reply to
<me9