Re: 13A wall sockets - grippy eath slot

I'm having a tidy up and found the wall wart for the upstairs Sat

> decoder (Bush - spit!). > > I managed to break off the plastic moulded earth pin when pulling it out > of a twin switched wall socket because the socket grips the earth pin > very tightly. O.K. with real plugs but too much for this one. > > The sockets in other rooms aren't like this but several of the sockets > in one room have this problem - the all grip the earth pin very tightly > which makes removing plugs very hard and you have to wiggle them to get > them out. > > Has anyone else had - and dealt with - this problem? > > I suppose the sockets could be lubricated in some way, but other wise > they will have to be replaced some time.

Bugger! Wrong NG as well.

Time for something medicinal.

Reply to
David

Not at all. Try vagigel or similar...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Some sockets only need L&N pins to open. Since its for something seldom unplugged, just use a screwdriver. No point making extra work.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have actually found these are in fact a shutter issue. If you clean and lubricate the sliding shutter bit, being careful not to lose the spring, then they are almost normal in their grip. Of course it might not be the same issue on yours, but that is what it was on some mk rounded sided ones I have. They were put in in the 1970s so one can hardly complain I suppose. I'm very surprised the plastic earth pin broke off though, not seen that before. Sounds like a job for araldite. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Some do, but not mine unfortunately... Yes I've used a screwdriver as well at times, but it is a bit annoying and does not stop it re gripping after the plug has been in for a while either. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I doubt epoxy would be strong enough given the small area (and lack of space for a fillet), the relatively high force involved and the general slipperiness of plastics. A three-quarter No. 2 self tapper in addition to epoxy might hold it, but you'd have to get access to the pin from the inside, and most wall warts are glued up pretty solid. Overall it's probably easiest (and reasonably safe) to plug it in by opening the shutter with an insulated screwdriver.

Reply to
Rob Morley

You need insulation from earth? What a crazy world!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr