RCD wins again

Just found this (1st job of the day)

It was powering a 2kW heater in the conservatory.

Reply to
ARW

Nice. Bit of additional heating from the plug not always appreciated.

Reply to
Richard

Surely, they could buy a new heater for less than your call-out charge?

Reply to
GB

Or even wire a plug...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Or even wire a plug...

Quite scary how deskilled we (as in the population in general) have become.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It looks like whoever wired it up last time just didn't screw down the live terminal properly.

Reply to
GB

Yup. You have to travel miles to find anyone who can do something as basic as knap a flint and make a bow and arrows out of ash and nettle string.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They loosen off in service, which is why they should be checked every so often. Even incoming mains screws back off a little after a few years, but they do have three screws so the effect is not usually noticed or becomes a problem.

Reply to
MrCheerful

I saw a Faceache post last week from someone who was after a mechanic to give their car a check over (good) "and check the tyres as they might be a bit soft" (Christ!!!).

I can't be arsed to touch much on a modern car, but tyres, oil and water are pretty basic.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I knew someone who didn't check his car oil (and ignored the warning light) until the engine stopped.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

However in the last couple of decades, at least with relatively new vehicles, I have never found it necessary to check anything between services at all.

Today an engine will do 200k miles before it starts to burn oil.

Water stays where its put or the temp gauge goes up and frankly most leaks are beyond the skill of most to fix.

Tyres stay up unless damaged, or on damaged rims.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just finished the second job of the day

Eating that lot.

Reply to
ARW

I suspect that the fuse holder was the main cause of the heat not the live to screw terminal.

Reply to
ARW

My VH Combo uses 1 litre of oil per 20K miles and the Scudo just less.

Reply to
ARW

Yum.

Reply to
Huge

WTF? Bit OTT with the green stuff! Thought you were from up norf.

Reply to
Richard

A Santas Breakfast?

So is it Sheep racing later or a tractor ride.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

En el artículo , ARW escribió:

Lovely.

The live looks like it's been badly wired, are there some strands almost but not quite touching the earth pin?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

This reminds me of an enquiry I picked up the other day. Chap had a machine with a 3hp induction motor in it which kept blowing

13amp fuses on startup - quite reasonably as the starting current would be in the region of 30 amps. His suggestion was to remove the fuse and live pin from the plug and replace it with a neutral pin from a second plug to avoid the nuisance of having a fuse.

Take all sorts eh? These people should not be allowed to mate Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

En el artículo , ARW escribió:

Ahh, black pudding. I love black pudding, me. The Spanish version is redder, sweeter and has nuts in it. I'm the only person I know that likes it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson