Nice use for alarm cable

Found this one today whilst fixing some motorized gates.

at one end and

at the other end.

And this is a general mishmash shot of what I had to work on

I am sure there is a technical term for doing such a bad job but I cannot thing of it ATM.

Problem solved - the reflective sensors were out of alignment.

Reply to
ARW

I think it must be the way such things are typically done as the two I've dealt with were exactly the same.

Nothing fixed in place, nothing labeled up, wire colours changing mid length, no user manual, let alone a wiring diagram ... ;-(

In both cases I managed to create my own diagram and with a bit of Googling, find out what some of the less obvious bits did and got them going (one was a broken wire and the other needed a new component (door entry phone or summat)).

Result. ;-)

Did yours also start with ''oh, while you are here, could you have a quick look at this ..."?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

What was the separation between mains and ELV?

Why is a black wire connected into g/y wires - earth? or not?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Oh yes.

Can you fit a chandelier as I have new staircase?

ARW

Very little.

The one with two g/y wires connected to it? Probably an earth.

Reply to
ARW

I'm reminded of this...

Andrew Gabriel

Cannot see the pics but. Is your house alarmed? Alarmed, its bloody terrified!

Sorry. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

En el artículo , ARW escribió:

Ooh, lovely. Mason levels of incompetence. It's the sort of thing I find done by Spanish sparkies out here.

The AC input in the first one is marked "Alim" (alimentation) - 'supply'

- which suggests it's of Spanish or French make.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

A big airgap? It works for busbars...

Reply to
Adam Funk

A staircase like the one Adam photographed could take a really massive lamp. The sort that extends downwards over 2 storeys and pretty much fills the space between the staircases. That could need a team of people just to lift it.

For example.

Reply to
GB

Hang a few LED tubes down from the ceiling. Most only need power from one end.

;-)

Reply to
dennis

Its a mess of 6 core alarm wire, some used for 12v some for mains, maybe some for video and audio.

Its hard to say, even those of us that can see the photo.

Reply to
dennis

Thank you. That is exactly what it needs.

Any idea where you can buy that light?

The customer wanted ideas on what to buy. And he likes that one.

The team of people is not a problem - although I would try to use catenary wire or rope and have it pulled up from the loft.

And I would probably fit a massive noggin and not use plasterboard fixing screws:-)

Reply to
ARW

Better check you inbox for a better level of incompetence.

Add it to your forthcoming wall of shame that we are awaiting.

Reply to
ARW

Not quite grand enough perhaps:

nor

Reply to
DJC

Noggin my ass. You want a big fat beam sitting on the joists. Several joists. And maybe a winch to pull it up - safe and easy.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I think a winch would be needed more for the routine cleaning and occasional lamp changes. Unless someone's going to swing from the chandelier.

Reply to
Robin

Nah. Wodge of NoMoreNails (or similar) should fix it. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

google search by image leads to America

Britain has some very good glass artists experienced with lighting, perhaps your client might consider commissioning something bespoke:

Dichroic glass used correctly can look very nice in a long drop.

If you go crystal , make sure its full lead crystal and not a cheaper alternative, full lead rainbow sparkles ages to graceful yellow, crystal glass just refracts and ages milky.

Murano glass is used to make some spectacular modern and ,er, more traditional chandeliers.

3D LED acrylic sculpture on winches , I`m available ;-)

Tirfor time

Get an engineer to sign it off, lot of weight.

Permanently mounted winch(s) in ceiling or ceiling hung frame that gets dressed from scaffolding. Either way it has to be cleaned every so often and lamps replaced. Someat like, at domestic size

Adam Aglionby

I sure hope it's LED and the run real cool. In the days of filament that would have been a mare.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr