G4 in Cooker Hood

Anyone replaced the G4 based lights in a SMEG Cooker hood with LEDs?
DerbyBorn wrote:

No, I have replaced the SES incandescent lamps on my Neff hood with clear "LED filament" replacements, all OK.
Andy Burns formulated the question :

I replaced my hood's SES with SES LED lamps a few months ago - all still good.
On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 3:53:24 PM UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:

Don't know about that but I'm looking for an oven bulb that lasts a bit longer than a couple of weeks. Grr.

Are you using "proper" oven bulbs?
On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 11:02:42 PM UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:

Insofar as they're marked as 'oven bulbs' on the display rack at B&Q/Homebase wherever. They seem to be getting harder to find as well.

Vibration - or door slamming kills them.

I've found shed bulbs tend to be about the worst around. Try getting them from a proper electrical wholesaler.
--
*If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before

On 15/12/16 22:58, Halmyre wrote:

LEDS work OK in hoods. I'd be less sanguine abut internal oven lights tho
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I'm sure they can work in hoods, but in my Elica the supply didn't like it and they started pulsing.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On 16/12/16 09:53, Chris J Dixon wrote:

your mains supply started pulsing?
???
???????????
??????????????????????????????
On 16/12/2016 07:53, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Presumably 12v halogen fittings and the transformer was unregulated a bit on the high voltage side with the much smaller LED current load.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Thanks - hadn't considered that.
I was wondering if a single LED replacement bulb was the way - or to adapt and "under cupboard" circular array type of thing.

Electronic halogen transformers are unregulated, but have a cut-out if the load is less than around 1/3rd of the max output, to protect the lamps from unregulated overvoltage. This generally causes the pulsing on and off. (The irony is that LED lamps generally have built-in regulation are wouldn't care about over voltage, but the electronic transformer doesn't know that.)
You could replace the electronic transformer with a lower powered one designed for LEDs (and these are regulated).
--
Andrew Gabriel
Halmyre explained on 15/12/2016 :

You need to ensure that the ones you use, are definitely designed for 240v - not the EU's 230v which so many sell.
I bought a few from Ebay they turned out to be 230v and lasted just weeks. The present ones came from Poundland, marked 240v oven lamps and have lasted around 2 years so far.

....but we are notianally on 230v now so I wouln't expect anywhere stocking 240V ones.
On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:26:52 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

The distributors of incandescent filament lamps *are* fully aware of the *notionality* of the UK's "230" volt supplies and the need to supply 240v lamps that *actually* match the *actual* local supply voltage used in virtually every region of the UK. That's why, if you bother to look closely, you'll find them marked as 240v lamps.
Unless your particular electricity supply *is* set to a *nominal* 230v rather than the nationwide 240v used almost everywhere else in the UK, any such lamps marked as 230v ought to be returned to the supplier as "Not fit for purpose".
On the one hand, they'll have a higher efficacy but on the other, they'll suffer a shortened life as a result. This may or may not suit your needs but is the reason why tungsten filament lamps are so tightly specced to the voltage of the supply in and around the locality of the retail and trade supply outlets.
--
Johnny B Good

Wondering how LEDs would cope with the heat?
I replaced the single pathetic light on my oldish hood with three low voltage downlighters, fed with a proper transformer, many years ago. Not replaced a bulb since. Low voltage ain't so susceptible to vibration as mains.
--
*We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

The LEDs themselves would be fine although their plastic casing might yellow but the capacitors in the power supply would die horribly at anything above 105C. Whereas LEDs in fridges would be ideal.
Oven bulbs have to be engineered for their hotter environment.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I have my doubts, but I never tried deliberately cooking one.

They're rated at 300C (versus 200C for a standard filament lamp).
--
Andrew Gabriel