G4 in Cooker Hood

Anyone replaced the G4 based lights in a SMEG Cooker hood with LEDs?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

No, I have replaced the SES incandescent lamps on my Neff hood with clear "LED filament" replacements, all OK.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns formulated the question :

I replaced my hood's SES with SES LED lamps a few months ago - all still good.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Don't know about that but I'm looking for an oven bulb that lasts a bit longer than a couple of weeks. Grr.

Reply to
Halmyre

Halmyre wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Are you using "proper" oven bulbs?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

LEDS work OK in hoods. I'd be less sanguine abut internal oven lights tho

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm sure they can work in hoods, but in my Elica the supply didn't like it and they started pulsing.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

your mains supply started pulsing?

???

???????????

??????????????????????????????

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Halmyre explained on 15/12/2016 :

You need to ensure that the ones you use, are definitely designed for

240v - not the EU's 230v which so many sell.

I bought a few from Ebay they turned out to be 230v and lasted just weeks. The present ones came from Poundland, marked 240v oven lamps and have lasted around 2 years so far.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Presumably 12v halogen fittings and the transformer was unregulated a bit on the high voltage side with the much smaller LED current load.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Thanks - hadn't considered that.

I was wondering if a single LED replacement bulb was the way - or to adapt and "under cupboard" circular array type of thing.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

....but we are notianally on 230v now so I wouln't expect anywhere stocking

240V ones.
Reply to
DerbyBorn

Wondering how LEDs would cope with the heat?

I replaced the single pathetic light on my oldish hood with three low voltage downlighters, fed with a proper transformer, many years ago. Not replaced a bulb since. Low voltage ain't so susceptible to vibration as mains.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Electronic halogen transformers are unregulated, but have a cut-out if the load is less than around 1/3rd of the max output, to protect the lamps from unregulated overvoltage. This generally causes the pulsing on and off. (The irony is that LED lamps generally have built-in regulation are wouldn't care about over voltage, but the electronic transformer doesn't know that.)

You could replace the electronic transformer with a lower powered one designed for LEDs (and these are regulated).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The LEDs themselves would be fine although their plastic casing might yellow but the capacitors in the power supply would die horribly at anything above 105C. Whereas LEDs in fridges would be ideal.

Oven bulbs have to be engineered for their hotter environment.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I have my doubts, but I never tried deliberately cooking one.

They're rated at 300C (versus 200C for a standard filament lamp).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You're right at least for the common ones. Around 150C seems to be the typical official maximum junction temperature rating. I had remembered that white LED output falls by 30% for every 100C it is above 25C.

I checked a Philips datasheet this time:

Martin Brown

Insofar as they're marked as 'oven bulbs' on the display rack at B&Q/Homebase wherever. They seem to be getting harder to find as well.

Reply to
Halmyre

Halmyre wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Vibration - or door slamming kills them.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I've found shed bulbs tend to be about the worst around. Try getting them from a proper electrical wholesaler.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)