LED for SMEG Cooker Hood

I have a SMEG cooker hood and would like to replace the 12v 20watt downlights with LEDs to match the colour of other under cupboard lights and to give a longer lamp life. Currently the lamps are fed from an "Electronic Transformer" Sec: 11.5VAC

20 - 60 VA.

I think I need to change this for an LED Driver. Do you agree?

The lamps are a push fit into the hood bottom. I also need to find a suitable LED fitting to fit in the same holes.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Is it really worth all the effort for a handful of watts saved when you are cooking? couple of hours per day maybe?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Bob Minchin wrote in news:n3cm1q$d6q$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I would leave them on more to match the illumination from the undercupboard lights.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

You would need a LED driver.

Then you only need LED lamps and not new fittings. MR11 by any chance?

Reply to
ARW

Reply to
DerbyBorn

LEDs don't like heat whereas incandescents *are* heat.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Are we sure he needs to change the driver? I'm sure I've seen leds that claim to run on 12v ac or dc in the shops. However it might be interesting to see if the sockets are some kind of standard type, in which case the job might well be very easy indeed. In my very limited experience of lights in domestic appliences, the sockets tend to be rivetted or welded in place so if they are a bit of an odd ball major graunching surgery might be required to replace them. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

So a new driver and a pair of LED G4 lamps them!

Reply to
ARW

I tried to replace the G4 capsules in my cooker hood with LED bulbs. All went well initially but then they started to flicker on and off. I was told that there is insufficient resistance in the LED bulbs for the 12v transformer and that I would need to fit a proper LED driver. As I didn't fancy pulling the hood to bits, I compromised by fitting one LED and leaving the standard bulb. This arrangement works OK for me.

John M

Reply to
John Miller