coloured gels for LED lamps

I bought some great 3Watt LED lamps to fit GU1=A70 downlights, the light output is incredible but even with a Warm White colour the light still a bit bright and cold. Does anyone know where to buy small quantities of filter gel to alter the colour value?

AJ

Reply to
AJH

I guess you need someone who is perhaps involved in theatre lighting or disco equipment? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

These aren't continuous spectrum sources. You'll get very low light output if you filter out the blue. You need to find some with more phosphors to convert more of the blue into red. The reason they're harder to find is they're less efficient so the light output figures aren't so good (but nowhere near as inefficient as using a filter).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It would be interesting and probably instructive if he generated a spectrum off of one. I bet there are peaks and troughs all over the place. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Most white LEDs are actually a blue LED, and a mixture of phosphors to convert some of the blue light to other colours in the spectrum. Conversion to colours further away from blue is less efficient (Stokes shift). Indeed the heat generated by the phosphors is a part of the challenge of keeping LEDs cool. Some newer lighting LEDs have the phosphors separated from the LED, so the phosphors don't directly heat the LED chip, which helps with the thermal management.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel