rawlplug uno wall plugs

Hi,

I generally follow the advice to throw away what ever screws and plugs come with furniture/fittings and use my own. I have found some cheap wall plugs to be useless. I have found the rawl plugs to be ok for my needs:

guess the only time they haven't been suitable is for use in a plasterboard stud wall. In the past I used Fischer universal plugs for that:
they seem very expensive compared to the new rawlplug uno. I know the uno has been recommended here (TMH et al). Is there any difference between the uno and the fischer universal, other than the price?

Fred

The Fischer is superior (generally true of most of their products).

However, it depends what you are expecting to fix. if it's light, the Uno will be fine. If it is heavier, I would use the Fischer, or a proper PB fixing like a toggle or an expanding-cage "nut" type (latter doesn not flop in the hole like the toggles).

At some point, you will exceed the strength of the PB with the better fixings anyway - at which point I tend to try and adapt the thing being fixed to line up with the studwork and screw into that.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I can't see that, I reckon the UNO's are better myself.

Can't abide toggles, if you remove the screw the toggle falls down inside the cavity.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

AAMOI what do people recommend for screwing into a thin door panel (to support a robe hook)?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

wall anchors - these are available in short form for exactly your purpose.

Toggles also work, subject to all the disadvantages (sloppy fit, drop off if removed).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've used both - Unos are fine unless you have a difficult substrate, which is when I find the Fischers beat everything hands down.

Yep - that's why I tend to use hollow wall anchors

tight fit and removable. Main disadvantage is the bolt is necessarily quite long!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks, but it looks to me as if you don't get a flush fit, is that right? Also do I need to buy a setting tool?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

No - it is proud by the thickness of the metal - about 0.25mm

No - drill hole, tap in (or push hard with thumb into plasterboard), insert bolt and do up tight.

Reply to
Tim Watts

These maybe?

Reply to
stuart noble

Rawlplug Uno works a treat.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hollow wall anchors removeable?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On plaster board they will sink enough into the surface of the board for that not to be a problem.

You don't *need* one as in you can't use them without a setting tool but it does a quicker and better job at setting them.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I tried that. I couldn't stop the plug rotating in the hole. (Red plug in a 6 mm hole, tapped home with a hammer.)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

need two.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Mike Barnes :

... but I see eBay has them cheaper, and alternative brands.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

ISTR not having enough depth for the fixing in a hollow door.

Reply to
stuart noble

The bolt - without the anchor disappearing into e-space :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ah! Not quite what I was thinking, the whole fixing being removeable. The only way I found of "removing" them is to push them through the plaster board and do a toggle in the cavity.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks for the clarification. I only need one or two, so I might pick up a small pack of unos to see for myself.

To try and reply to several posts at once:

I'm probably going to spell this wrong, but for small loads, I often use "redidrivers". I know the regulars will know what I am talking about but for the benefit of any newcomers, I think redidriver is a brand and copies are available. I'm not sure what brand these are but here is an example:

always use the ones with metal sockets. I read a post on this group a long time ago, where someone gave a good reason to use the plastic ones for a particular application but I can't remember what it was now.

For anything stronger in plasterboard I use hollow wall anchors.

I have used this one to hold a hook in a hollow door before:

is the smallest one I have found. It has been on our bathroom door for six years or more and holds four or five dressing gowns on the one hook (including the heavier winter ones).

The only possible downside of the hollow wall anchors is that although the bolt is removable, the anchor bit isn't. I have never needed to remove one fortunately.

I agree. Great if you know where the studs are. I have never had any luck with stud detectors. When I wanted to mount my TV to the wall, I dismantled the wall to fit noggins.

Reply to
Fred

better than the Fischer universal and rawlplug unos?

Reply to
Fred