Best-value plasterboard wallplugs?

Which type of plasterboard wall plugs do you favour?
I have used the plastic self-tapping screw-in type, but have found that they often break during the screwing-in process, or the pozi-screwdriver fails to grip due to the softness of the plastic - so I'm wondering about the other alternatives...
I need to install some bookshelves on a studwork wall...
TIA...
Al

If they are going to be bookshelves loaded with books, fixing to the plasterboard won't be strong enough. Fix directly to the studs.
--
*If God dropped acid, would he see people?

Actually, they are only short (3ft) bookshelves, going in an alcove I need to fix two screws into the sides of the alcove, which butt against the end of each shelf. Unfortunately the studs are not positioned such that I can screw into them.
Al

They are only 3ft-long shelves, going in an alcove. For each shelf, I want to drive two screws into the wall where each shelf-end butts against the side of the alcove. In each case, the rear screw can go into a stud, but not the front one, due to stud-positioning.
Al

In this situaition it would be better to fit ladder type shelving to the back wall of the alcove
shelves 3 ft long will will not take kindly to just being supported at the ends even if the end wall was solid enough to fit battens securely (unless the shelves are very thick)
been there done that .... then have done it properly for years since
Regards
Tony

In this situaition it would be better to fit ladder type shelving to the back wall of the alcove
shelves 3 ft long will will not take kindly to just being supported at the ends even if the end walls were solid enough to fit battens securely (unless the shelves are very thick or have end to end supports on the underside)
Regards
Tony

sorry about the double post edited the original then sent both by mistake

Thanks for the input. I am confident that my wooden shelves are adequately strong and rigid for this 3ft span, based on past experience. If money were no object, I'd probably fit aejustable steel shelf brackets to the back wall, but I want to avoid that expense.
Al

Thanks for the input. I am fully confident in the suitability and rigidity of my shelves.
Al

Patress? Can you please clarify what you mean? I have only heard of 'patress' as in 'patress box' (the electrical item).

Another bedroom.
Cheers
Al
On 21 Nov 2011 13:19:14 GMT, AL_n wrote:

If you cant fix to studs then I reckon these hollow wall anchors are the best bet
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hollow-wall-anchor-5-x-43mm-6-13mm-pack-of-10/18266
provided its not dot n dba - if it is then deep fixings into the wall behind
--
(º•.¸(¨*•.¸ ¸.•*¨)¸.•º)
<.•°•. Nik .•°•.>
On 21/11/2011 15:46, Ghostrecon wrote:

For general use Rawlplug Uno. Work in anything. Truly universal plug.

Drill a 6mm pilot hole.

Agreed 100%.

You can use them in the voids behind dot n dab as long as you drill a deep enough hole.

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 18:10:34 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I have had some success on dot n dab with the shorter ones but the longer ones seem to foul as the wings open in the deeper hole
--
(º•.¸(¨*•.¸ ¸.•*¨)¸.•º)
<.•°•. Nik .•°•.>

Does one /need/ the setting tool, or does it just make them much faster to use?
Martin Bonner wrote:

Ought to stop the occasional time when they refuse to bite and end up spinning round damaging the plasterboard around the hole.
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 05:23:09 -0800 (PST), Martin Bonner wrote:

You don't *need* it in that you can set them with a screwdriver. The setting tool does make setting them much faster and accurate, in that you know it has set properly.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Martin Bonner wrote:

I've used them without knowing a setting tool was available....
http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&idd&Itemid4 "Installation" shows them being done up just with a screwdriver, as do the retail packs they get sold in in B&Q/Homebase/etc..
Apparently with care you can also set them by pulling up the bolt with a claw hammer.
On 21/11/2011 15:46, Ghostrecon wrote:

I have been wondering if these would be any good for hollow hardboard doors? I need to fix some hooks to the back of bedroom doors and the fixing that I have used seem to pull out.
Does anyone have any experience of using them for this?

If you really need the cheapest option, make a half inch hole in the PB, squeeze a bit of card in there so it sits below the hole, then pack hole and surrounsding voild with filler. Now fix screws with ordinary plugs, or if even thats too much money then with matchsticks, scrap plastic, etc.
NT

I've used the metal versions (Redidrive?) of these a few times - I used them in the old house to hold up some curtain track. Seemed to work ok.
--
Chris French