Rats in drain

Hi,

Yesterday my SO reported scratching sounds coming from the base of the (plastic) soil stack on a drain spur that services our kitchen. A rat or rats I assume. I'm kind of puzzled because we've never heard this in all the years we have lived here. There's certainly no way a rat could gain entry to the drain system on our land, but of course I have no way of knowing how well sealed the system is upstream or downstream of my home. There are certainly lots of rats in our area...and lots of houses.

Anyhow I want to eliminate the animal(s) because I am sure the find kitchen waste very nutritious

My strategy will be to set a conventional sprung mechanical rat trap screwed to a board straddling the gulley in the nearest manhole to the "problem".

Has anybody else had similar issues? Were they easily dealt with? What's the bast bait? (I propose a lump of beef dripping that's been in the fridge since Christmas).

Vortex2

Could it be a Kitten that inadvertantly found it's way into the drainage system? or some other poor creature lost in your drains. Suggest you find out what it is before any drastic action. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Willing to bet that the chance of that is *tiny* compared to the chance that it's a rat. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Could be a small child, maybe its Maddie.

Reply to
Keith2.0