Foulwater drains: tightest bend a drain rod can negotiate?

Re: 5" foulwater drains: Can anyone tell me what is the tightest radius of bend that today's drain- unblocking rods can get around? Thanks...

PhilK

Reply to
Phil K

What choice do you have?

I would expect standard available waste components & common sense to guide me....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

With any luck you don't need to go round the bend. Put the flat rubber disk on and work it back and forth as hard as you can with long strokes The hydraulic effect in the water usually clears the blockage.

Don't try to force it round the bend, it may get stuck. And then you'll be in the shit. Literally.

Reply to
harryagain

Yes. But it should really have an inspection chamber.

Reply to
harryagain

JimK wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I should have mentioned that I need to achieve a 90-degree change of direction that is as sharp as drain-cleaning rods can cope with.

PhilK

Reply to
Phil K

Phil K wrote in news:XnsA4838FB114C9C777777@130.133.4.11:

PS... (I'm assuming that a standard 90-degree bend is too sharp to get past, but I may be wrong.)

PhilK

Reply to
Phil K

Stick a mini manhole in?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Why not use 2 x 45 bends?

Reply to
Capitol

"harryagain" wrote in news:mh5rap$khc$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Yes, thanks for the tip. Hopefully the need to unblock it will never occur. I am just trying to plan the route of the drain so that if it ever did get blocked, there is no possibility that I'll have to dig the drain up to unblock it.

PhilK

Reply to
Phil K

JimK wrote in news:4a73e8e2-9012-4e61-8f62- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Yes, that may be an option - thanks. I still neet to know how tight of a bend todays drain rods can get round though.

PhilK

Reply to
Phil K

Capitol wrote in news:kNKdnZcLoZkV86vInZ2dnUVZ7q- snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

That would certainly be better than a single 90 bend - particularly since I have a vague idea that I may have read somewhere that bends of no more than

45 degrees are recommended.

Will a set of drain rods will get around two successive 45 bends placed together? If so, it will save me from looking for more expensive solutions.

PhilK

Reply to
Phil K

Phil K scribbled

You might get away with using a rest bend or better still a T with a rodding eye.

Reply to
Jonno

/Yes, that may be an option - thanks. I still neet to know how tight of a bend todays drain rods can get round though.

PhilK /q

Why? The idea is you won't need to bend rods much at all if you can get in at a strategically placed manhole.... you can work 'both ways' away from it....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

In message , Phil K writes

I have attachment that goes on the pressure washer that works well at cleaning drains, and is much easier to get up drains than rods.

Basically a long hose with a small head on the end that jets out a few high pressure jets of water sidewards (or rather a bit backwards as well) . Works well

Reply to
Chris French

Well, you'll get them round the bends, but you wont get them back again! They will jam across the bends, and pulling will jam them tighter.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

I thought any serious change in direction required some form of additional access?

Reply to
Fredxxx

If you want to be safe then stick to straight runs joined by rodding points. No rods go round any bends without the risk of not being able to retrieve them, especially on the longer runs.

Reply to
mick

harryagain scribbled

Doesn't have to be anything fancy though.

Reply to
Jonno

I picked one up from Lidl a few months ago on the basis that it looked like it might be too useful to pass by. A couple of weeks later, needed it to clean the kitchen sink waste pipe, which over 20 years or so had reduced diameter with thick gunk. Did a fantastic job.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

I bought mine to clear a blockage in the underground drain serving the kitchen. Which turned out to be blocked with many years of solidified fat (I couldn't get the old drain rods I had up the pipe anyway due to the depth and size of the manhole)

Worked a treat on it and I've used it on a couple of other jobs since

Reply to
Chris French