Ratchet spanners

Indeed. But dribble has never worked on a car, thank goodness. Water flooding a street is one thing - but brake fluid?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And the relevance to this thread is? I'd not expect a pro mechanic to be asking how to undo an awkward bolt here.

And you pay through the nose for it. And the snob value too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The biggest problem with cheap OE spanners is they are too thick. If they don't fit the lock nut under the normal nut they aren't much use.

Reply to
dennis

Are you sure about that?

ARWadsworth

As SnapOns own site tells they pioneered van sales in the 1920`s which was quickly copied by people like Facom by the 1930`s

SnapOns corporate web site used to say they were a worls class sized lender involved in credit for professional hand tools.

Their main selling point for a mechanic is you can pay it up, a lot have a running account with their Snap On man.

Stock on van is franchisees reponsibilty, seen a van that a newbie has first started with ,n they look a bit bare.

Life time warranty, its the lifetime if the tool not your lifetime, this tool lifetime is at Snap Ons discretion, if you are a regularf customer or employee of one you may have some chance, wouldn`t even attempt to claim warranty as a walk up to a Snap On van.

Even if you are in the position of having a chance of claim, their shoddy screwdrivers will first be claimed as used as prybar, in extremus they will hammer a new blade into your old handle, rtachet mechs are excluded, service kit same cost as a good quality ratchet from somone real.

Halfords Pro range, virtually identical to Snap On socketry , lifetime warranty involves walking into any Halfords and getting them to get you a new one out the case.

Even on Ebay Snap On has some magical effect on prices, Facom, Gedore, Elora, King Dick are at minimum Snap On equal but are available at considerably better value.

Oh and ratchet spanners, if they dont have a everse lever, have a plan for removing the tool after loosening fastener...............

Cheers Adam

=A0 London SW

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Of course. I'm talking about several decades ago, long before people could buy online. That's why I used the past tense, because those days have long gone.

Reply to
Bruce

There was another benefit - the Snap-On tools had a high residual value. People would sell tools they no longer needed, or duplicates, to workmates, and they could sell them used at a high proportion of the new price. That made them better value than the initial high price would suggest.

But those days have long gone, with very high quality tools coming first from Japan, and now from China at far lower prices than Snap-On.

It was a good business model in its time, but it has had its time.

Reply to
Bruce

Why would you want to place a half thickness locknut under the full size one in the first place? Bit of a problem certainly if you are using two half thickness nuts locked together but in such circumstances you aren't looking for much clamping force anyway.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

When I worked in the motor trade, (15+ years ago), Snap on were the

2nd best tools I had ever seen ... absolutely top-notch, and made to last ...

The best tools I've seen were the manufacturer supplied ones, from FIAT ... absolutely incredible quality. The fact they are still being used today, 40 years after we acquired them, speaks for itself ....

Reply to
Jethro

I have a Britool hex drive socket set - BSF etc and AF only - which is also 40 years old and still just fine in the main - despite being much abused when I was younger. But you don't have to pay a fortune for good tools - just don't abuse them. And even the very very best can be ruined by abuse.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because that is the correct way to do it! And its bloody obvious that you want the load on the thick nut and not on the thin nut which it would be if you are stupid enough to fit it on top.

Reply to
dennis

Back about '72 I removed the head from a car using spanners from Green Shield: open-enders made in India . They did the job, suffered no damage and are still in use today. Probably modern ones would break.

Oh, and I ground one, 14/15mm, to 3mm thick as a cone spanner and that's survived heavy use.

Reply to
PeterC

What you think as obvious and other people think is obvious is often diametrically opposed. The purpose of the full thickness nut is to provide the necessary clamping force whether or not there is a locknut. The purpose of the old fashioned half thickness lock nut is to discourage the main nut from rattling loose in non critical applications. If you want to be sure the nut doesn't come loose you use something like a castellated nut and split pin or a tab washer.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Please eff off as you are a plantpot

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please eff off as you are a plantpot

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please eff off as you are a plantpot

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Draw a picture with the forces on it if you can't see it in your head.

None critical like bridges!

You are wrong here too so go away and find something you understand.

Reply to
dennis

I just bought these:

Very handy, 12 sizes in 3 spanners. Bahco is a great make as well. I have seen these for up to £58.99 plus VAT in other places

Reply to
Camdor

You can usually tell when Dennis thinks he is on a sticky wicket. He edits out the clue so I have now reinstated it.

one in the first place? Bit of a problem certainly if you are using two half thickness nuts locked together but in such circumstances you aren't looking for much clamping force anyway.

the thin nut which it would be if you are stupid enough to fit it on top.

I am sorry but the only picture that comes to mind is of you wearing a conical hat with a rather large D on it.

Well if you are playing with Meccano all you have is half thickness nuts but with real constructions you just should't use locknuts in safety critical applications.

Oh yes, and what would you use where a locknut wasn't good enough? Or is it that in your crazy mixed up world the locknut is the safest form of fastener short a permanent fixing?

Reply to
Roger Chapman
.

Oh look Roger idiot Chapman is trying to change the subject now he has realised he is wrong again. What a surprise.

And just in case he hasn't worked it out yet..

if you put the thin nut on the end and tighten it against the thick nut in the middle all the force pulling the nuts off the bolt is on the thin nut only with the thick nut taking none of the load.

Reply to
dennis