Fixing safe to floor

I have bought a new chubb safe. It has 4 holes in the bottom and 4 bolts. I would like to screw it onto a joist in the attic or perhaps a wooden floor. However, I can't visualise how to do it. Please can anyone suggest the best way of doing it.

Many thanks

Reply to
Broooz

You can buy double-ended studs that have a bolt thread on one end and a wood-screw thread on the other.

Check that the joist/floor has no cables/pipes running through it, drill pilot holes, lock a couple of nuts against each other and use those and a spanner to screw the studs in. Put the safe on the studs and bolt it down.

Unless you can position it so that it cannot be levered off, it isn't going to withstand much attempt to get it free, if only screwed to floorboards. Or even a joist come to that - you may only be able to get two studs to line up. Positioning is the key - you don't want to put it where it would be easy to lever it away from its fixings.

Another alternative is to just buy four longish bits of steel bar and drill holes in them and bolt the safe to them. The safe can be lifted and moved - but if it has a long bit of steel bar sticking out from each corner, it is going to be impossible to get it through a doorways, etc.

Another is to use shorter bits of bar and screw them down to the floor/joists with lots of coach bolts, then round the tops of the bolts off with an angle grinder. Bolt the safe to the bar(s).

Lots of other ways. Bolting to a solid wall is better.

HTH

Sue

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Clever idea thanks ;)

Reply to
Broooz

Thanks for the thanks but:

Not my idea. IIRC, there is an alarmed briefcase which, when triggered, shoots out telescopic rods in all directions - making it impossible to hide or get into a car, etc.

Sue

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Getting all James Bond in ere' :-)

Reply to
mocha

You could chain it to a *really* big boulder. Then not only would it not go through doorways, but they wouldn't be able to lift it far either....

Reply to
Phil

And most people have such a *really* big boulder, or equivalent, to hand - it is called a house. ;)

Good idea though - wrap a chain around a handy joist or even through the bed frame (if you have a one-piece metal one, like some of mine).

Or loop it through the handles of a few propane cylinders.

It could make some good clips for those hidden camera shows

- man attempting to flee carrying a safe fixed to an x....

Reply to
Palindr☻me

You could bolt it to a couple of long angle-iron spreaders under the floorboards. That'd make it much harder to shift. Or, if you know someone with a welder, get 'em to make up a couple of brackets to go between the joists which can be coachbolted to them, with studs on top spaced for the holes in the safe.

Reply to
Roland Butter

Had to share this. a Blonde female friend of mine wanted to bolt down her safe so being independent she got some of those spring clips (i think there called butterfly clips) anyway she sort of understood how they worked but everytime she tighten them up they popped out of the floor. Odd i said show me what you are doing. Anyway after 10 mins of laughter i suggested she tried putting the spring bit the other way up.

Part 2 was she was worried about the thief undoing the screws. (What with the safe closed i said!!).

Mark

Reply to
Mark D Smith

But...what if they opened it?