washing machine

There is a coin or foreign object rattling in the drum how do I remove it?

regards Patrick

Reply to
PATRICK LARVIN

Unplug the machine and put your hand in through the door and retrieve offending item. Some times metal buttons on jeans and the like give the impression of something rattling in the drum.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Could be between the inner and outer drums in which case he has a problem.

Reply to
s p o n i x

I'd say he had two problems if thats the case, retrieving the item and a ripped/torn boot.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Generally, you take the machine apart and remove the cover separating the inner and outer drum and fish it out. On a Hotpoint, it is quite a simple job, really, once you've worked out how to remove the door seal and front panel. I've never tried on other makes.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It'd be worth checking it's not down in the filter by the pump, first. I just fished a cent coin out of the impeller housing on mine.

Reply to
John Laird

On or around Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:24:21 +0100, "Christian McArdle" mused:

If you are going to dismantle the machine, (which I wouldn't recommend unless you know what you're doing), make sure you replace any tub seals that you disturb.

Also easy once you've done a few. ;)

Reply to
Lurch

As a professional I would remove the heater to check inside tub.

Reply to
powerstation

On or around Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:30:18 +0000 (UTC), "powerstation" mused:

I would also like to point out that I knew that, I'm just somewhat knackered and replied half asleep!

Reply to
Lurch

Usually, the "paddles" (or one of them) on the inside of the drum can be removed for just this situation. They are generally removed by squeezing the sides together.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Wow - amazing news. (seriously) - has anyone tried it on a Hotpoint Washer / Drier? Must try on my daughter's when I next visit.

Reply to
john

I've found that the heater rubber has usually expanded so much that removing the front panel cover complete with heater is the only way!

Separating the heater from the panel then requires half an hour with a Stanley knife, trying to remove enough of the rubber plug so that it can be withdrawn, unless there is some professional trick that I should know.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On a early hotpoint for example that is an option, but not all use removable tub fronts, some use tubs split down the middle put the heater in the rear of the tub plus most machines don't have a removable front outer cabinet. Undo the nut first tap the stud back on the heater and it will come out, I have never been unable to remove a heater, bit of washing up liquid to ease it back in.

Reply to
powerstation

The one I had in mind was probably a particularly bad example. It had almost doubled in size and there was no way it was going back out through the hole. Even with direct access to the inside end, it took half an hour with the blade to carve it down to size. The bolt didn't even figure. It was entirely undone and not interfering in proceedings. If I hadn't been able to get to it from the other side, the heater would have needed some serious power drill or hacksaw modification to be removed.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

They are part of the drum on a hotpoint washer dryer they dont have plastic paddles

Reply to
powerstation

On or around Thu, 27 Oct 2005 17:40:03 +0100, "Christian McArdle" mused:

I have that from time to time. With some perseverance it will go in in one piece. I would never resort to hacking the crap out of it to get it in as that would be dog rough.

Reply to
Lurch

Sorry, but there was no mention of it being a washer drier at start of the thread!

Reply to
Mr Fuxit