Rant: Banks that only let you see the last few transactions online

contents of the

selelcted not just

"£" signs as

the data into

its difficult

bitten by that a few

As it happens I have an ISA account with them.

I just tried downloading it in xls format and excel 2010 says "the file is not in the format specified by the extension, verify its not corrupt... ". That might be because excel 2010 expects xlsx format while the santander on is xlx, but that doesn't usually trigger that message.

Nevertheless, it opened ok and the first thing I see is that they have tried to make the excel page look like a statement rather than just basic data. The £-signs are NOT real, they are the result of it being formatted as currency (you see this by looking at the numbers in the edit bar - no £-sign there).

I next selected the data b6 to h10 (I only have 5 transactions) and sorted it on the "B" (date) column. That worked fine with the dates now in ascending arder, and the balance cells in "H" moved correctly with the dates, as did all the others.

In short, its working fine here, so it seems either you are doing something wrong or your excel is corrupt in some way. Have you tried re-creating the sheet with typed-in data or cut'n'pasted from the txt download?

As a last resort you could try the santander helpline or post for advice on the microsoft excel forum.

-- Phil Addison

Reply to
Phil Addison

its difficult

by that a few

That'd be pointless - 123 has a cap of 20k effectively, so a long way to go yet!

Reply to
PeterC

wrong or your

I've tried it with pasting from .txt and from copying the site. As I say, it does exactly the same in Excel and Calc.

the microsoft

I might do that if I get a tuit. The only real niggle is the mismatch between paper - Quicken - Santander. I can see no reason at all for having the entries arseuppards.

Reply to
PeterC

That is a common scenario but I was also referring to the information being intercepted not directly from the user or their computer. I would hope that few people would fall for phishing attempts nowadays.

Reply to
Mark

I'll have to get a round tuit to try it out. I'm not bothered whether it's free or not. I am happy to pay for software that does the job like I did with MS Money.

Reply to
Mark

My address was different, but not my signature. Give it a try, if it fails, you are no worse off than you are now. Your local Post Office probably has the form and address where to send it. You can always scan the book before you send it off, if you want to keep the memory. Probably a good idea anyway.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey