Rant: Banks that only let you see the last few transactions online

It's not a wriggle. I've already covered the 'easy to remember' part. You have not supported your assertion so maybe you shouldn't bother.

ROTFL. This is usenet, not a court of law.

Reply to
Mark

As it's free, both as in beer and as in speech, it's good value, if a bit US centric in its accounting codes.

It is, but then again, the dollar and the pound are both decimal currencies, and any tax information is now going to be wrong no matter what currency you're working in. I think there's a way to open UK accounts using it, I've not tried it, though, as GNUCash is more than enough for my simple needs.

Reply to
John Williamson

You mean by people responding to phishing emails... No amount of web security is going to help solve that one.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think there is a central registry of old banks and who (should) now have the details of the old accounts but see another post that indicated the government is about to (or has already) grabbed that money. I have some vague memories of that but not having any dormant accounts I didn't pay that much attention, was quite a while ago I heard.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My only complaint re. Santander is that the .xls is in date-descending order and no way can I get it to go the other way across all columns. The Total doesn't follow the other columns - in fact it doesn't go in any logical order. I've tried all methods in both Excell and Calc. Begining to get used to it now, but haven't found a way of using the paper record in this way.

Reply to
PeterC

There was a moneybox item about this a while back - search bbc radio 4.

Reply to
Phil Addison

Phil Addison

Try TableTools2 firefox extension from

It is very good at extracting data from websites. Some sites defeat it but it works on a some bank sites I've tried.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

To re-sort: In the first column to the right, create an ascending list,

1,2,3 etc, from top to bottom. Use 'Fill' to fill to the bottom of your table. Select the whole table, then 'Sort' using your new column, descending, as the rule. Your table is now upside down to what it was. I can't help with the Total problem, though, as I can't see it.
Reply to
Davey

ISTR the A&L downloaded files were a bit strange, and any modern version of Excel whinged about converting them. Can't believe it's difficult to sort the data though. I've always found it easier to copy and paste into my own spreadsheet

Reply to
stuart noble

But you can still get it back, even if most won't bother.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Easier to just sort by date, but it sounds like theirs might be in a text format. This should convert it. ISTR the times one calculation forces Excel to treat it as a number?

=IF(A2"",SUBSTITUTE(A2,".","/")*1,"")

Reply to
stuart noble

Nope (and the headline on the article is misleading), you will/be/are able to still claim the money back.

Reply to
chris French

In message , JTM writes

Hmm, I think it might be.

Doesn't apply to the Smile readers, as we have a joint acct, and so use either of our Debit cards

Reply to
chris French

Doesn't apply to the NatWest ones. SWTNFI sometimes borrows my reader, as she occasionally loses hers.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Certainly doesn't apply to the Barclays PINsentry, they use the same model in-branch to identify you for large value transactions.

Reply to
Andy Burns

is very good

Thanks for that - now installed. I've always used Opera and keep Pale Moon for the awkward sites but next time I log on I'll see what the add-on can do.

Reply to
PeterC

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll try them v. soon (nearly the end of the month). The Date column sorts OK, as do all of the others with the exception of Total; not only isn't it in the correct order for the new Date order but it's not in anything logical at all. If only I could predict the transactions I could keep the paper record to match the xls file!

Reply to
PeterC

Well, kinda. If the owner of the account turns up, they can get the money back. Otherwise the Government steals it.

Reply to
Huge

I just downloaded a Santander file in the xls format, and see that things have improved since I last looked. Their date format is fine and sorting all columns (B:H) by date was no problem. Not sure what the "total" column is that you refer to.

Reply to
stuart noble