Rant: Banks that only let you see the last few transactions online

See new thread for summary of data availability.

"Bank transaction history availability (was Rant: Banks that only let you see the last few transactions online)"

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Get your browser to remember that info.

I don't log in to my account while travelling. But if I wanted to, the PinSentry would avoid my having to remember loadsa stuff doing it the other way.

ISTM to be more secure than selecting your birthday and then typing in some subset of your password. The Yanks even think that having to enter your social security number somehow "validates" you.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Tim Streater writes

But I have accounts with Smile and Nationwide, and neither of those use a simple passowrd/username pair. Smile requires the account number and sort code, 2 digits from the security PIN (not the atm PIN), and one of the bits of memorable info (a date, a name, or a school) Nationwide use a pass number, a memorable word, and 3 digits from a 6 digit PIN. (though you can also use the card reader instead)

Reply to
chris French

As an experiment I tried to use my Nationwide reader with my smile card on my smile accounht (or vice versa, can't remember). It's didn't work - it would produce codes,but they were rejected by the website.

Reply to
chris French

When I'd left my reader in France I popped into the N/wide brance to do a transfer and asked to use a reader to do it. The assistant gave me a new one and said that "once a reader has been used with a card, it can only be used by *that* card. Might just have been bull though.

John

Reply to
JTM

I use "roboform everywhere" to encrypt and store 100's of logins so only have to remember the single master password (which is a very long phrase) and if I wanted can login from my phone this way. Its a definite recommendation for a few quid a year. So I'm the opposite, pin sentry means barclays is the one I can't log into, except as read-only if I don't have it with me which is invariably the case.

Reply to
Phil Addison

Only a decade? That unambigious statement should furnish me with at

*least* 34 years worth of transactions. I can't actually remember when I opened the account, I might be a couple of years short.

And online banking that you can't use at all without javascript and with javascript is slow clunky eye candy heap of poo. Also quite close to ditching them.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I still have my Trustee Savings Bank pass book. Apparently I still have £1 6s 0d in it - last entry late 1966.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Bloody hell, Dave, they won't give you any credit for that, probably the opposite ;)

PS, look closely at the 2 dates I quoted ;)

Yes, the old site was actually pretty quite reasonable.

Reply to
Olive Addison

I ditches them when I opened my current current account in 1970 - pretty well 42 years to the day, actually - end of September.

But I only get a measly 7 years 'all my data'!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bugger!! That'll teach me to use the wife's netbook on here :O

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

In message , Ian Jackson writes

I just download all my accounts weekly to microSoft Money

That's it

no problem

Reply to
geoff

No who took over the Trustee Savings Bank? Lloyds? They still ought to pay you the =A31.30 plus interest...

That doesn't really surprise me, you only *have* to keep records for tha= t long.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Apart from the fact the 8 digit code is different each time, I would worry that anyone - eg a thief - with access to my computer could log in with the remembered info. I never, but never, let my browser save logon onfo. See roboform comment. OK I didn't mention I use roboform for the

1st page.

The pin sentry just generates 8 digits for you to retype into the 2nd logon page. You still have to goto the website, and type in your name and 12 digit membership number on the 1st login page.

What happens if you get mugged and at knifepoint are forced to divulge your pin? You might 'just' have a few hundred taken via an atm, or as others hinted, the mugger might be savvy enough to know that he can empty your online account before you report it - he will have taken your phone as well. The bank 'might' reimburse you.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Somewhere I think I still have a Post Office Savings Bank account with something like 1/6d deposited. There must be a bit of interest accumulated since then, especially during the 80s...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Somewhere I have my 1960s cheque book from the National Commercial Bank, which no longer exists - I believe it's part of RBS now. There would have been a few pounds still in that account, but RBS claims to have no record of it...

Reply to
S Viemeister

With RBS and the Co-op I only have to use the card reader for new payments. Once set up the card reader is not required for subsequent payments to the same recipient.

Reply to
alan

At work my list of username/passwords fits on two A4 sheets of paper.

At home the lists fits on to 5 A4 sheets of paper. While I will admit to some similarity in user/passwords I cannot remember if I've put $$123 or $$456 or $$abc at the end or beginning of each of the passwords.

And then there are the systems that will only accept passwords that include a random set of "characters" that need to be changed on a regular basis. Does any organisation think these types of passwords are more secure when they will be written down by EVERYONE that has to use them.

Reply to
alan

Me neither. If the browser has saved it then malware or someone else could easily read it.

-- snip--

I guess this is lower risk. And criminals generally go for the low hanging fruit so I think you're safe until all banks have good web security[1]

IME the most common security breach is where they somehow incercept card details in transit and then use them until the card is stopped.

[1] Which will never happen.
Reply to
Mark

--snip--

The Santander web site mostly works without javascript except for logging out! I did inform them about this but they are willfully ignorant and won't change it.

Reply to
Mark