Rangemaster 110 Range (spares question).

Hi all,

Trying to help a friend ... they have a 'Rangemaster 110 Range', with two gas ovens and gas hob and I understand the thermostat (or stats) that cover the main oven has either failed or gone out of spec (burning stuff).

The Gas Board have been round, concluded the fault was the stat but said they were no longer available? ;-(

I filled out a spare parts enquiry on the Rangemaster website and they duly replied confirming that the spare part was indeed no longer available. ;-(

However, are these things generally unique to such a brand / model or are they often generic, all be it with an additional bracket or some such?

Anyone here got a Rangemaster oven and managed to get 'unavailable' spares from somewhere or have any other thoughts on the matter please.

I understand the thing is pretty heavy and I can see if they can't get it fixed, I'm going to be expected to be on one end of it as it's carried to the van to go to the scrappy. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The Gas Board have the biggest spurs out there. Happy to take payment for covering *itemised* gas appliances for as long as you like, but declare bits unavailable should it ever actually need anything.

Spares are usually available for donkeys' years after makers and the gas board don't want to know, especially as most things are generic rather than made to order. I've never had a problem tracking down spares for things, particularly if I've got hold of a part number. A quick squizz at eBay turns up various thermostats for a "Rangemaster 110" with associated part numbers.

Reply to
Scott M

Who?

Reply to
Huge

To an extent many things are generaic

It took me a lot of googling but I manged to find spares for an old cooker.

Not the clock though

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I assume British Gas as part of a maintenance contract.

It standard practice for BG to state that spares are not available and the device can no longer be repaired. Next comes the sales pitch where a new item can be purchased through BG at a price x2 to x3 more than their competitors.

A friend of mine used to make a very good living repairing items that BG had declared obsolete with spares direct from the manufacturer or generic replacements.

Reply to
alan_m

Quite.

That's what I was hoping.

Nor me typically ... seems my Google Foo let me down this time. ;-(

That is still missing from this enquiry.

It does indeed, Thanks. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I believe it is yes.

I wasn't there when they turned up but I understand they guy admitted he wasn't that confident.

I bet. However, I dare they are obliged to do it all by the book so ...

As Scott M suggested, there seem to be lots of options on eBay so I think I'll probably have to see if there is a part number on the offending item and see if there is a good match and if there is, get them to get it and have it there for the Gas Man to fit. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That was my suggestion to the owners, after they repeated what the gas man said.

I did the same with my Mums old gas boiler (that must be 45+ years old) and found some bagged new / old stock (from an ex gas fitters van). ;-)

You sometimes find you need a bit that is a weak link and so everyone wants one. So they become rare and expensive.

About the same time you often find some kind soul on Youtube showing you how to repair your one. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

For older appliances you may find that they used the same part on multiple models for many years and/or the same appliance had more than one badge.

Reply to
alan_m

It was the big boy, sir, he started it, sir.

(Mind you, I like to refer to the GPO occasionally and I'm barely old enough to remember it!)

Reply to
Scott M