raising window sills

Hi folks , Im a fairly inexperienced diy'er but need to do raise window sills, the sills are about 1" below the height of my kitchen benches and i need to raise them to about 1" above so i can tile . What do i use i was going to cement but i have a gap between the bench and sill of about .25". So i was going to use wood , but what type of wood bearing in mind im going to tile on top of it and it will be behind a sink.

thanks in advance

ken

Reply to
KenT

I wouldn't use wood at all in that situation if you can avoid it

Can't you remove the existing sill, firmly wedge in some thin shuttering ( i.e less than 0.25" thick ) against the wall, and concrete/cement it up that way???

"coherers"

Reply to
Coherers

Wot I would do, would depend upon the hight of the window frame. If the glass will be below the new cill, then this is a different problem. I have used both of these techniques

1) glass below level of new cill - fashion a wooden bar yp fit next to the window frame, so that the cill steps down to the window frame, then follow as below ... 2) glass above level of new cill - frame up and cast a concrete bit, 5mm below the required level. - use cavaity closures (like 6 inceh wide MDF strips, but made of concerete), to bridge the gap - tile over the top

Alternative - remove window - add row of brick - fit new window

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Yep i went for the cement way took a lifetime as id never done it before and i had to negotiate a sink tap. However im glad i went that route as the move window option was a great big NO TA!!..

thanks all.

now just the 15 sheets of mosaic tiles to put on - ho hum....

ken

Reply to
KenT