Raising dents in wood block floor

Why? As far as I know a drum sander is the proper tool for the job.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If its not too large a spot, the water will soak in sideways, and lift the finish.

Dab water, soak, steam, wait, ...

As time usually translates into labor costs: get someone in to sand the lot.

Alternatively, DIY, where time is "free".

Anyway: grab a block of scrap, and beat the sh*it out of it with a hammer. Then steam and soak the dents back out. A wet rag left on the block for a few days, followed by drying for a week -- that will get rid of all the dents IME, bar the ones where the edge or corner of a hammer tore fibers.

Nice. Oak is stubborn, too!

I'm certain of the "frog" technique. ISTR there are special punches with softly rounded tips for denting the wood. Can't finde a trace of it on this Internet thing, tho... ah, here at last: "ukibori".

"Wood Ukibori Techniques "The technique for wood goes like this: using a hard punch with a very smooth rounded end, the wood is depressed a small amount beneath the surface. This often requires a firm tap with a mallet. The surface is then carved down level with the bottom of the depression formed by the punch, and the area of the depression was wetted with boiling water (use a small brush)."

(from "Carving Netsuke" by Tom Sterling

)

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I like the sound of that, especially with the spot treatment.

Reply to
newshound

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Thomas Prufer snipped-for-privacy@mnet-online.de.invalid> writes

The finish was achieved by scraping (carefully) with bits of broken glass!

Current project is a garden Pergola for the boss.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Using a drum sander is fine for floorboards but can lead to dishing and/or scratching on parquet floors.

nothanks

Well, I have never seen anyone use those for sanding. It's normally a drum sander, run in different directions, making a flat surface. If the operator's incompetent, I should think anything could happen.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

You now have one less unknown unknowns ;-) More seriously: I guess it's horses for courses - or sanders for floors. The orbital sanders give a far better result on floors that have the grain running in different directions. Here's a photo of one of my refinished floors:

nothanks

A friend of mine had exactly that problem and I suggested the aeromodelling trick to make the wood swell which is to make some very small cuts with a scapel and then drip drops od water onto the depression. after an hour or two the wood returns to its previous size.

- Mike

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Nice. A drum sander with a coarse belt would ruin that floor.

Reply to
Andrew

Except that the dents will still have the varnish or wax so they will absorb water more slowly and unevenly. Tim might have to try and manually scrape the varnish/wax out of the dents with a bit of old glass, or something :-), or resort to nitromors and wire wool.

Reply to
Andrew