rainboard for door

I'm not singing its praises as a fixing method, but three screws from the outside also works. You need to drill into the rainboard at an angle to the surface which is a little tricky to start ( use a pilot drill ), then fill the holes over with filler when the screws are in. It works, but is visible if you are using a clear varnish. Remember to seal the join of the rainboard to the door to stop water sitting in the join ( frame sealant ). Also remember to treat your softwood with anti-rot before you paint it.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

How do you fit a rainboard to your door (softwood)? Basically I can see three screws from the inside of the door, or a powerful glue. Anything else? It is badly needed as the door does not hold off the rain at all and the water breaks in at the bottom of the door. Fred

Reply to
Fred

good answer ;-)

RT

Reply to
R Taylor

Sorry to sound stupid but is a rainboard made from wood or metal? I know it sounds like it should be wood but we have a similar problem with damp at the bottom of the door and were told to fit a metal plate. Where do you buy a rainboard?

Reply to
DIY Novice

I would not recommend screwing from the outside btw, it creates water penetration points causing rotting. Screwing from inside is virtually as easy.

Best to put gunk on when attaching to stop water that gets past the paint getting in your crack.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

We bought a metal one from B&Q. We glued it to the uPVC door rather than screwing, then glued false screwheads into the pre-drilled holes on it. Make sure it has some sort of lip/grove on the underside to stop the water running underneath the board and back onto the door!

Reply to
Conrad Edwards