Radio advert blocker

You are actually Bill Wright and I claim my 5 pounds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But I suspect that advertising follows the Laffer curve in the same way as taxation.

Zero adverts -> zero income

100% adverts -> zero listeners -> zero income

Somewhere there is a sweet spot that maximises revenue. A few people avoiding what they consider to be excessive adverts is worth it for the extra income received from the extra adverts.

Reply to
Andrew May

You clearly haven't read my own proposed system for an ad blocker which is totally automatic and requires no user input; learns new adverts by itself etc.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not interested in music, I prefer talk radio where all sorts of malcontents phone in and bitch about stuff.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I get most irritated by ads which are repeated often.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No wonder you don't like R4. Hardly any of those sort of progs on that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For that reason I don't mind the ads. per se; it's just the raucousness of them, especially in some dyphonious merkinvoice.

Reply to
PeterC

But there is at least one.......

(Unfortunately it looks like non available on iplayer atm)

Reply to
news

I'd like to listen to the old ones. Got a link. The people on that programme today are not of the same calibre at all. I think it is is something to do with radio being a big part of certain actors' wages in the good old days.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I like the Classic British Comedy radio channel. The Dad's Army radio version is better than the TV series; the scripts were sharpened up wonderfully by the original writers specially for the radio broadcasts.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The worst one I've come across is for some snake oil substance called Heart & Body Extract. It's on about every 10 minutes and they mention that product name 7 times per advert!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I guess from the advertisers point of view that is a good thing in that you remember the name and have repeated it on here.

From the radio stations point of view it may be less good if it results in you stopping listening.

Reply to
Andrew May

I can't remember ever being persuaded to buy anything advertised on TV or radio.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Subconsciously even?..

Reply to
tony sayer

I suppose it's possible - but I'm equally as likely to be put off things which are advertised too much. Makes me think there must be something wrong with them if the only way they can think of to shift them is bombardment. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

LOL. You wish...

Reply to
Richard

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Well either way those olde ads have made our pay possible in the past and nowadays;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Go for a crowd sourced solution. Invent a mobile based game with rewards where players race each other to be the first to hit the advertising kill switch, and likewise the same turning the source back on. The system can decide to kill audio at the point where there is a higher frequency of users hitting the switch, and then, er....

.. ah, me stupid. how can they hear after the end of the advert???

Mumbles back to the drawing board....

Reply to
Adrian C