Radiator - temporary replacement

I need to remove some radiators so the rooms can be re-decorated, and then later I'm going to replace with different radiators. So, I'm going to be missing radiators for a period of time, but need the CH to work in the meantime.

Is there some sort of standard hose kit to connect the radiator pipes together to complete the CH circuit once I've removed the old radiators and not put the new ones in? I've done a search but can't find anything suitable.

TIA!

Cheers, Piers

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

You don't need to do this.

Virtually all CH systems have the radiators connected effectively in parallel across the flow and return pipes from the boiler and pump.

Some early systems were of a one-pipe design where the flow goes around the building in a loop and radiators tap onto it. However, even these are not affected by a radiator being turned off or removed.

You can turn off both valves and remove the radiator.

However, two caveats.

1) CH water is often loaded with iron compounds and sludge from corrosion in the system. This stains indellibly. Therefore, care is needed to allow the water to drain into something when you undo the nuts of the valve unions. Cat litter trays from the supermarket work well for this.

2) You may not be able to completely turn off the radiator valves. In this case, some caps to screw onto the now exposed valves can be useful and are obtainable from heating merchants.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Also remember that turning a TRV completely down will often set it to a frost protect setting, so although it is off now, it will open up on a cold night. So for TRVs take the TRV body off and use the caps Andy has described.

Reply to
PM

A stopend on each pipe.

Reply to