Quooker solenoid coil replacement?

Okay, I've isolated the problem to a burnt out solenoid coil (which is removable)

I doubt these are custom made for Quooker but I'm struggling to find a replacement online. Quooker want £95 quid for the whole valve and other gubbins we don't need.

Can anyone identify this coil and suggest a replacement?

Tim

--

Reply to
Tim+

Get some sticky-label remover spray on there, and see if there's some ID underneath the quooker label?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yeah, that occured to me after my posting.

Here's what's underneath.

Done a bit of phoning around and it seems a company called Hydrasun are agents for them but they've not identified it (yet) from the number on it.

Tim

--

Reply to
Tim+

some sticky-label remover spray on there, and see if there's some ID underneath the quooker label?

You could rewind it, but it'd be a bit tedious. And it may need some overheat cutout device.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Looks similar to various solenoids used in coffee makers, page 40 as a starting point?

Andy Burns

Tried that, nothing with the right dinensions. :-(

Sadly, after conversations with Parker, it sounds like this solenoid isn't part of their normal range and is probably a special order by Quooker so it's looking like they've got us by the short and curlies.

Tim

--

Reply to
Tim+

Hmm, I quite enjoy a chalkenge. ;-)

Presumably it would be a case of cracking it open and sourcing the appropriate grade wire?

Are there any online guides for this sort of thing?

Tim

--

Reply to
Tim+

RS have some likely candidates as do ebay. Almost anything with the correct bore and coil length will likely do the job. Raid some dumped washing machines, dishwashers, softeners etc perhaps. Wire terminations are less common but I'm sure you could chop the wires off the old one and crimp on the much more common blade connectors. Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Nearest I can find on RS is one rated at 4W (and I can?t find full dimensions). I?m guessing wattage relates to the amount of ?oomph? it can generate to move the valve so 4W might not be enough. :-(. Will have another look on eBay.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Something like this:

or this:

www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Or... Give these guys a shout.

a few solenoid valves for them before and they're very helpful.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Is it open circuit? It may be a thermal fuse that's gone, either because of a shorted turn or just spontaneously. You have to measure the wire with a micrometer, without enamel, or guess and get wire with suitable mains rated enamel. Problems will be getting the open case closed in an electrically safe state and getting the wire tightly enough wound for it all to fit. I wouldn't try it,

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I would agree.

The idea of winding what must be several thousand turns would frighten me without a coil-winder.

However, in a similar situation I once wound a coil with much thicker wire, which was far more manageable, and drove it through a transformer.

Reply to
Fredxx

These are common on oil fired boilers: I could tell you the diameter of the hole if that would help. The one I had would go open circuit when it got warm and then recover by the time I checked it with a meter. Confusing!

Michael Chare

Too big I think. The one from the Quooker has quite petite external dimensions and I?m not sure a larger one would fit under the cover. Thanks anyway.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Hmm, given the mcb trip, I would make sure that whatever switches this coil isn't shorted "on" - becuase the new coil isn't going to last long if it is :)

Reply to
Lee

Tim+ explained :

It might just be the thermal fuse which has gone open circuit. That might be on the surface under the wrap and possibly easy to replace if so.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

This might be smaller: Riello RDB Burner Solenoid Coil Part No: 3008648

Michael Chare

Or they have just re-numbered a normal stock item.

Reply to
alan_m

Covered that issue already.

Here's what's underneath.