Quick fence post question

Having a fence put up this morning. Not sure whether I should go for what the fence man says and have posts every 8 feet or ask for them every 6 feet.

Any preferences?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Kelly

In message , John Kelly writes

What type of fence? If you're having panels slotted between posts then standard panels are 6ft and when you come to replace them you'll find

6ft ones easier to find and with more variety.
Reply to
NoSpamThanks

Every 6 foot would be my recommendation

-- troubleinstore

mail can be sent via website. Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap

Reply to
troubleinstore

It seems to be called Close board. Basically posts concreted into the ground and boards nailed on.

Reply to
John Kelly

Checking te other fences around here that seems to be the standard. I'll get them to do that. More expensive but worth it in the long run I think.

Thanks

Reply to
John Kelly

I think it depends on the situation a little, for instance a nice oak featheredge board/slotted arris rail setup with 6x6 posts (quite common round here and surprisngly cheap if bought direct from sawmill) looks too 'squashed' if 6 foot spacing is used, IMO.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

It doesn't matter, featheredge fencing can have very short bays to get around inconveniences, or up to 3m. For long bays it is more important to ensure arris rails are good, with no weak points due to large knots. I have seen some break when held at one end, and "bounced" on the ground at the other end. Depends on the type of post, to an extent, too. Have you given him (them) a cup of tea yet? It's 11 o'clock.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

8 foot is normal for this tyoe of fence. Indeed the horizotal ( arris ) rails come in 8' lengths
Reply to
BillV

He assured me 8 feet was fine and after showing them to me I agreed. They all look okay and the fence is solid. Quick good job.

He had his cup of tea - white, two sugars.

Reply to
John Kelly