Putting a washing machine in the bathroom (under the sink!)

I'd like to put my washing machine in a cupboard in the bathroom and position a counter top basin on top of the cupboard. What's troubling me is the pipework needed under the basin. Judging by what's under my current basin, I would need approx 30 cm clearance between the top of the washer and basin bottom which would bring the basin far too high. Are there any space saving solutions out there that would be suited? For example, I have seen that Wickes do a 'space saving sink trap' and there is also something called a 'HepVo' trap but i'm not sure if these are usable in this instance. I was hoping that I could sit the trap behind or at the side of the washer and run a pipe to the basin, is this possible? My objective is to keep the basin as low as possible and I don't really want to buy a compact washing machine but fear I might have to. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
lozoz

Are you living in a pokey bedsit or something? should be a law against this type of accomodation nowadays.

Any room to postion it to one side of the counter top in the same cupoard?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Quite easy really. You don't mount the trap on the basin. You mount a right angle join on the basin, and take that to a trap at the side. (not quite right angle, you want some slope)

As an alternative, you might mount the washing machine over the basin, enclosed, with the washing going in at more or less eye level.

Do ensure your DIY skills are up to this, a washing machine falling on your toes from several feet up can smart.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Better check out the zoning under part P of the building regs.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I was thinking that, but over the feet end of the bath.

Especially if the corner catches your willy on the way down, that would be a definate 'ouch' moment.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Part P has absolutely nothing to deal with it providing the OP powers the washing machine on an extension lead through a hole in the wall.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Don't think part P has anything much of interest to say on zoning in bathrooms - that is all in BS7671. Power for the beastie would need to be provided via a FCU rather than a socket obviously, and if you need to extend a circuit to provide one of those, then that would come into the realms of part P... (should anyone give a monkeys)

Reply to
John Rumm

Most basins are fitted at around 800mm high, a washing machine is around 880mm. Allowing around 100mm for a counter top, basin waste and pipe, even with the trap to one side, you're close to 1m high, which most people would find too high. I think you'd need to either offset the basin so that the outlet was to one side of the wm, or build a step in front of the unit (making sure it doesn't interfere with access to critical bits of the washer).

The HepVo is the easiest way to keep the pipe size to a minimum, and would be suitable.

auctions

Weight apart, there are some fearsome forces at play when those things go into spin mode. Unless an RSJ was involved I'm not sure I would want it off the floor at all.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

The forces are not _that_ bad - at the outside of the machine.

Inside - well, the forces on an unbalanced drum are several tons.

However, if I was doing this I would be thinking of a nice sturdy frame, made from 4*4's, and a glued + screwed 18mm WBP box, with 2 6*4 timbers going down to a pedestal around the sink, securely fixed to roof and floor joists.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

How bizarre is that? I would have thought that a washing machine in a bathroom could be a hazzard?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They are (as appliances) designed to go there.

In many other European countries, it is commonplace to have a utility room together with shower etc. in the basement if there is one or in an upstairs bathroom if not. I suppose that the idea is that all the dirty washing and things related to it are in one place. The machine is then wired directly into suitably IP rated RCD outlet of some kind or plugged into a rated outlet.

Sometimes I think that we are overly cautious in the UK, although the gradual relaxation over recent years from pull cords and no outlets to a zone system is an indication of change, and AIUI that is set to be changed further in the next round of BS7671

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 11:26:39 +0000 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

The IEE argued that this "caution" was shown by the figures to save a number of lives every year.

What relaxation was this?

I do have a copy of Amendment 3 to the 16th Edition beside me at the moment. In terms of switches there is little change to what was allowed before [1], the same is true about sockets. In terms of luminaries [2] and wiring systems it is stricter than what was allowed before.

[1] it is a common misconception that only pull cord switches were allowed in bathrooms. However, no matter how common it is a misconception is a misconception. [2] for example, before Amendment 3 bayonet lampholders only needed to be fitted with a "Home Office skirt".
Reply to
David Hansen

Yes, there is the risk of the packet of Bio Wash powder falling into the bath and the bather suffering dermatitis from immersion in washing solution.

But you should know by now that Part Pee has no relevance to safety.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In general that is true, but the context was bathrooms.

Really? Pity it doesn't it tell you the difference between a luminaire and a luminary.

You were probably thinking of me (meaning person of eminence or brilliant achievement) when you wrote it though.... :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:13:52 +0000 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

The IEE figures were about bathrooms.

Reply to
David Hansen

Ah, you just need a bit more imagination :) Put 2x1 round the top of the WM, butyl line it, drilling a hole first in the WM top, and you've got a nice sink at 80cm that drains into the machine, thus saving on water :)

Oh, dont worry about drainage, the newer machines turn the pump on if they detect too much water in the drum!

NT. Plot? whats one of those?

Reply to
meow2222

On the 'slight bodges' route.

I'd consider finding a large shallow glass bowl, and having at it with a diamond angle grinder, to cut off a little under half of it, then siliconeing with the appropriate grade of silicone to a flat plate of glass, with a hole drilled in it.

Arrange taps coming out of the wall, and find a clear silicone rubber ball to act as a stopper.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

this for example <

djc