Small hole in hot warer cylinder

I have a small hole in my Hot Water Cylinder which is to be removed shortly. It is at the junction with the water inlet pipe, but in the cylinder itself. I can feel the water spraying out. The bucket is getting full rather too fast.
My first idea is epoxy putty, which I have in stock.
Any ideas for other bodges.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 14:32:14 +0000, Dave Fawthrop

I glued a cracked Land Rover engine with JB Weld - I'm sure it'll do for your cyclinder.
Regards,
www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Drain the tank, at least until only 1/2 full. A good clean with wire wool and solder it- plenty of flux and heat.
I did this once and it was so successful I forget about it. It must have lasted 8 years at least!
Brian

Or solder something over the top of the hole - I've used a low value coin of the realm as a patch. for something similar in the past.
--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com
Alan wrote:

Isn't that treasonable or something, punishable by hanging...?
David
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:02:56 +0000, Alan wrote:

Model shops sell very low temperature solder for use on white metal. It might just work with a big iron onto clean copper. Use a foreign coin, but not one of those oriental ones with a hole in the middle!
R.

Hmm... I'm not sure that Danes would describe themselves as Oriental....
Alan wrote:

Pick an old "copper", recent ones are steel that's been electroplated.
"Dave Fawthrop" wrote:

If the area needs to be dry then if you drain the tank epoxy putty may well tide you over. Tide?

The "plumbers" stuff will even work if it is wet. If the hole is small enough you won't need to drain. Won't do mains pressure but will seal over a few feet static head (might need a plate wedged over while it sets).

Just beware the area around the hole might all be very thin and delicate -- if you touch it, you might end up with a much bigger hole.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Get a match stick and use a sharp knife to make a long tapered point at one end. Shove the point firmly in the hole.
As a kid about 50 years ago, I mended a metal water butt like this after I had accidentally thrown a dart through the side - and the match stick was still firmly in place when we scrapped the butt many years later!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Pretty good idea that, presumably the wood swells up and creates a better seal.
DG

Yes.
--
Cheers,