500W PIR floodlight with switched output?

I'm trying to get a 500W PIR floodlight with a switched output, around

1000W capacity. These used to be common, but I can't find any that specifically state they will switch an external load.

IQ used to make them, but they only supply one dealer. I thought of Ring Electrical, but I can't find their contact details. Any clues?

Also, I want a PIR floodlight with a wireless chime. This one could be

150W, although 500W would be better. Recommendations?
Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

I haven't seen any that say they have provision for an external load, but how about a separate flood, and one of these

Sparks

502 Xeno

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Get a separate light and PIR. The light needs to be much higher than the PIR, so the combined units are fundamentally flawed.

500W is much too bright for a single light source outside unless it's mounted higher than 10m. If you really need more than 150W, use multiple lamps spaced apart. You can start with one, and then see if you really need to add any more.

Avoid light polution. Make sure the light points downwards and doesn't emit any light horizontally or upwards. Make sure the light doesn't spill onto neighbours' property, or onto the highway where it's likely to be a source of dazzle unless mounted very much higher than you are likely to be mounting it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Argh. Do you really really need to light up the night sky with this ? PLEASE use only use if really necessary and point the thing DOWN.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Schneider

Errr ... yes. I've got 50m of drive to illuminate!

Why do some people find it necessary to evangelise in response to a simple question?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

I just hate the modern trend to heating and lighting the outdoors at night. It's just plain wrong. If it's just for driving along how about some flourescent posts or panels ? Simple to install and no running cost.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Schneider

Probably in order to warn you that it may not work. For a single light to do that, it would need to be on a 10m column in the middle of the 50m run. You can't do it by mounting the light on the house at a height where the PIR will work at one end of the 50m run. The angle required to reach 50m and the lack of effective lighting at 50m will mean it will just blind people with dazzle at the far end of the drive. If you have a tall house in the middle of the 50m run, then it gets easier providing you can mount it 10m high. You will really need a luminare designed for a spacing height ratio of 5:1. It would be a lot more effective with more lamps of lower power.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It does work. I just want to replace the existing lights, notice plural, hence the need for a switched output.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

The message from Nigel Molesworth contains these words:

Why do you need to illuminate it?

Reply to
Guy King

Unless they've radically changed in the last couple of years it used to be straightforward to get to the connecting block in the housing and take a switched output form there. On a number of occasions I've wired a couple in parallel to give greater coverage around a corner or along a longish path.

Have things changed?

Reply to
Fred

This seems to be a 500W PIR floodlight that can switch a total of 2KW:

can download the instructions which specify this.

This is a 150W PIR floodlight with a transmitter and you can buy a chiming receiver seperately:

an aside, I've bought a some of these wireless PIR transmitters and receivers, and their behaviour is a bit more complex and confusing than I expected. In addition to the "it's night-time and I've detected motion" signal, I think they also send a "it's daytime and I've detected motion" signal. Also, the receivers sometimes get confused if they receive an "on" signal and you then power-down the transmitter before it has timed out, so presumably there's an "off" signal as well. The manual doesn't cover any of this.

Reply to
Simon

YSWIM? Why is it so hard for some people to answer a question without querying the need for the question in the first place.

The answer is: because I do! OK?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Isn't that what you would expect?