Pubs with out of date beer barrels

<snip>

We had cast iron fires / surrounds in the Victorian cottage when I bought it and have since pulled all but one out. A builder doing some other work here saw them and suggested they were 'worth a bit'.

I took a photograph of one and showed it to a local fire reclaimers, asking them if it would be any interest and he said 'no thanks' (at nearly any money).

Whilst it was fairly ornate and undamaged, they really only wanted the bigger ones (these were mostly bedroom sized). ;-(

So unless the mixed-light-iron scrap price has skyrocketed ... ?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's the Adam marble that's expensive, not the grate from the third housemaid's garret.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Same experience 35 years ago when pulling out cast iron bedroom fireplaces.

Estate agents describing a property as full of period features usually means full of outdated old crap that most people discarded 50+ years ago.

Reply to
alan_m

I've known pubs where poor cellarmanship can F*** ** nearly everything that comes out of the pumps.

Reply to
alan_m

Sounds like a 'best after' date would be more useful then !

Reply to
Andrew

;-)

The remaining fireplace would be fairly 'collectable', even if only because it would add to the local scrap-collectors wagon. ;-)

The lounge had a tiled / concrete surround and hearth and the chimney / breast was still in the kitchen (along with all the other rooms).

I took the one out of the kitchen, though the bedroom and into the loft and braced it there till we had the roof redone and I took it out completely.

The two downstairs ones still have wall mounted gas fires on them and the one bedroom hearth is just bricked up and vented.

The remaining cast iron hearth / surround is still in place and they are actually fairly plain with a few frills. Still, been there over

130 years and the mantle can easily take the weight of a 42" plasma TV[1]. ;-)

I really can't handle the idea of having an open fire in a bedroom!

Cheers, T i m

[1] The glass of the screen still weighs a ton on it's own and I have a fairly large cardboard box full of various PCB's out of it that nearly weigh as much!

Apart from making a coffee table out of the screen, it will be with a heavy heart when I throw (heave) the glass into the skip, considering the millions of cells potentially running at 1200 DegC and the effort that went into designing and building it. ;-(

Reply to
T i m

Yeah. A mate used to make 'mock' Adams surrounds in plaster?

Well, this was (is) a bit more than just a grate. ;-)

Looking here:

There doesn't seem to be much under £500, most seem to be sold and many are smaller and less well proportioned than ours (or mantle is

36" wide and about 40" height). ;-)

Time to get the hammer and bolster out? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not necessarily. There is sometimes an obvious reason why some "traditional" pubs fail while the one 100 metres up the road is crowded.

Reply to
alan_m

Probably not, if it is in Soho :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Reply to
alan_m

Well the barrel that refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach is one of the barrels.

The Moretti and John Smiths have also been relabelled.

Reply to
ARW

I have not yet got proof that Spoons have done it.

Reply to
ARW

In my long drinking experience, pubs with topless barmaids etc. only seem to last a few months. The pricing policy soon drives people to drink elsewhere.

The other mistake I've seen is to replicate a theme pub, that may work as a one off in London, to the rest of the country. They may get short term trade until the novelty quickly wears off.

While there may be is a place for novelty pubs and pubs with elevated prices the vast majority in the UK are not of this type and have to compete with supermarkets for alcohol sales.

It may take two years to build a pub trade but only two weeks or less to lose it. I've seen too many new landlords/managers come into a once busy pub and virtually empty it, and then complain that the customer owes them a living.

Reply to
alan_m

To be fair here, could it be that they are testing the beer first to check that it is okay then applying a new label (rather than just changing the labels)?

Reply to
Scott

ARW has brought this to us :

I thought beer was usually good for 12 months after bottling/ keging?

My bottled homebrew stout from 8 months ago is still good.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

surely well sealed alcohol products don't go "off"

the point of BB dates is the lifetime of the seals on the container, not the lifetime of the product

If the beer's gone off when they serve it, hand it back to them

Reply to
tim...

Best before dates have absolutely NO meaning in law, USE BY does.

Anyway they have probably allowed for the barrels being opened but as they haven't ...

Reply to
soup

Did I miss the repeal of the bit of the The Food Labelling Regulations

1996 that require that (with some exceptions) "the minimum durability of a food shall be indicated by the words ?best before? followed by a)the date up to and including which the food can reasonably be expected to retain its specific properties if properly stored, and ..."?
Reply to
Robin

I'll happily stand corrected, but I'd have thought there's quite a lot to keeping cask beer and making sure it's served in top condition.

Reply to
RJH

No need for you to be corrected. It's not simple.