Propane v Multifuel

Living in a village, without mains gas, I am totally dependant on electricity for my central heating boiler to operate. It is now time to fit a fire into the living room for when the inevitable happens and the lights and heating goes off but do I go for a Propane fire or a multifuel (which I think means wood and coal) fire? SWMBO prefers propane, he who pays the bills is conscious that gas prices are rising and would prefer multifuel. I have indicated below how domestic heating oil prices have risen over the last few years. Could somebody be so kind and indicate how both Propane (those red cylinders) and coal have fared?

We have a Class 1 Flue and a permanent gas cylinder in the garden is not an option.

If anybody has taken a similar plunge and has tales of woe or success I'd be grateful to hear them.

Date Cost p/ltr Jul 02 16.5 Dec 02 18.9 Feb 03 23.9 Jan 04 18.45 Apr 04 31.3 Oct 04 28.6 Nov 05 34.95 Jan 06 26.70 May 06 35.95

Looking at the thermometer and conscious that tomorrow will be a little warm I realise this might not be the most appropriate time to ask this sort of question however...

Rgds

John (Put the cat out)

Reply to
JWL