Programmable TRVs

Saw these on the last screwfix email, and thought you may be interested, unless they are old news!?

don't appear to have a contact closure to control the boiler though, which would be nice!

Reply to
Toby

In article , Toby writes

Were you aware that was an affiliate link?

Reply to
fred

No, becasue it isn't

It may have a tracking code from the email they sent me, so they can track hpw people got to the product.

Here it is wihout the tacking code, if it bothers you that much.

Toby

In article , Toby writes

They seem to think it is: Service provided by

"Revolutionise your affiliate marketing"

idea for single rad rooms.

Reply to
fred

Ok, you have lost me now!

My tinyurl "

" Points to
"Where are getting
from?

I guess from the end of the URL "&source=aw" which would be doing as I said before, and tracking the clicks from their emails

Here is the online version of the email, which has the same link on the programmable TRV to the one I posted via TinyURL

Toby

In article , Toby writes

actually redirects via:

is a click-through server for
my concern and query.

However, you have said that the link you pasted to get that tinyurl was:

"2 possibilities there, either:

  1. The full link in your promotional email was obfuscated to hide the affiliate redirection and cutting/pasting it gave the full and affiliated link above. Pasting into a text editor (notepad) would show if this was the case.

or

  1. Tinyurl are adding affiliate redirects to their links to generate money by clicktho's (cheeky).

(Sorry, getting long here)

If you preview the tinurl with:

are actually redirected to:

without affiliate redirection.

So . . . . . .

From that it would appear that tinyurl have started adding added affiliate clickthro's to their links and so are not longer to be trusted to provide clean links.

Apologies to you, the link you provided was clean but was butchered by someone else.

Does that make sense?

Anyway, back to the product discussion . . . . and thanks for posting it.

Reply to
fred

rch%3DTerrier%2520i-temp%26searchbutton.x%3D0%26searchbutton.y%3D0%26searchbutton%3Dsubmit%26cm_mmc%3DCampaign-

I think, however, that it is screwfix that are doing the affiliate thing, for tracking who clicks on their links in their emails, and it is not tinyurl, that would make more sense to me, especially as they have "&source=aw" on the end of the link, and aw sounds like it could well be affiliatewindow

Do you see the affiliatewindow stuff if you go directly to

Toby

In message , fred writes

You seem to assume that the OP cut and pasted from the email. More likely I think for them to have cut and pasted from the web page they got taken to.

The link in the email may have been nothing like it at all eg see the links on the web page version of the email, this is the link for the Terrier valves.

I imagine it's normal for companies to use such affiliate links for tracking responses to emails etc.

Seems unlikely (I reckon they make plenty from the ads). For one thing I'm pretty sure there would be discussions elsewhere on this on the web, but a quick search doesn't show up anything.

Reply to
chris French

In article , Toby writes

product page without external redirection. That makes me think that the forwarding and affiliate manipulation is being done at a higher level by tinyurl.

Sure, screwfix are doing a bit of tracking to see where there customers are coming from but as long as screwfix is in the root domain of their links and they are doing it in-house then I don't have a problem with that (although I always trim out tracking information when I post links here).

Since the preview link at tinyurl is clean and the affiliate link only pops up when I trap redirects passing through the non-previewed tinyurl link, this reinforces my thoughts that the affiliate manipulation is happening at tinyurl.

I've searched to see if anyone else has spotted this but the search is swamped by results for how to hide your affiliate links with tinyurl!

Any web marketing buffs care to butt in?

For info, I'm using Opera with automatic redirection disabled to track any redirect attempts.

ps: what does bother me is seeing my page hang at screwfix waiting for a response from google analytics, crippling the speed of my browsing to track my behaviour is just not on.

Reply to
fred

In article , chris French writes

Opera browser with automatic redirection turned off (Preferences > Advanced > Network - Enable Automatic Redirection)

The fact that the link from tinurl is clean suggests to me that the link the o/p put in is clean.

I'm trying to replicate the situation here to see what happens and have had some success.

Using a cookie enabled browser I went to screwfix and browsed to a product. I then copied the clean link from the browser and pasted it into tinyurl.

On copying the tinyurl back into Opera set to trap, the tinyurl redirected via affilliatewindow's servers.

This is reinforcing my opinion that tinyurl are adding affiliate information to certain links.

This isn't a hundred percent as this isn't happening every time but I think it is showing a trend.

Screwfix are certainly participating in this, the mid=1228 section of the affiliate link is the id for screwfix and it appears that they are paying people commission on click through sales. Interesting reading below, makes you realise why searches are so clogged these days with affiliate sites when you see the commissions on offer:

web savvy punters care to contribute?

Reply to
fred

Hmm,

Does indeed sound like affilliatewindow and tinyurl are scamming Screwfix here.

If affilliatewindow share their list of websites that they get paid per click, and then any matching domains clicked on via tinyurl are doctored, giving tinyurl a kick-back from affilliatewindow, then they both win and Screwfix (and other companies, no doubt) will have been effectively conned...

If you use this link

change the number on the end to find other companies that affilliatewindow have as clients, then create a tinyurl to that site, does it still happen?

Then try random sites that wouldn't ne associated with affilliatewindow in tinyurl

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

is one I just created that points to
which is affilliatewindow client number

1227
Reply to
Toby

In article , Toby writes

That's clean

Reply to
fred

They look ideal for some rooms. I have got the bedroom in mind. It can just heat it up for 30 minutes in a morning and an hour at night without all that tedious business of having to use a normal TRV.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes, indeed. It will only of course heat up when the rest of the system is on - since there's no boiler trigger like with a conventional zone valve.

There are 4 variants shown on the SF site, and I've been trying to figure out the differences - which is not helped by the fact that SF seem to have got the pictures and descriptions screwed up!

Looking on the Pegler site instead, I have come to the following conclusions:

The models with a 'v' after the number include the 'wet' part of the valve whereas those without are intended simply to replace the head on an existing valve, and come with a range of adapters to fit different makes.

The '30' models are designed to be mounted vertically, and the '35' models horizontally.

Does that sound reasonable?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes. The displays match with the orientation of the valve.

What I don't believe is the 30% saving on heating costs

suppose that the 30% saving is compared to a house with no TRVs and the heating is on full blast in every room whenever the heating is on.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yep, think you have it sussed.

For that price point I think they're excellent, at a 10-15quid premium on a quality TRV I think they'll do well.

An excellent solution for anyone at home during the day and wanting to shut off a a few rooms but leave the main areas with heat.

Not sure if the prices might rise once they become established, they're well discounted from the (centrally controlled) Honeywell offerings.

Reply to
fred

I wonder what battery life is like. Presumably, in addition to driving the electronics - which is trivial - the battery also has to drive a motor to open and close the valve - which is a fair bit more demanding.

Reply to
Roger Mills

The instructions suggest they do work that way, but they don't necessarily have to - you can imagine a design equivalent to having a timer operated bit clamped around a standard TRV where the motor twiddles the existing manual setting ring, and the valve opening and closing when cycling doesn't use the motor so long as the setting doesn't change.

Presumably the Honeywell ones have to do the same work plus run the radio for the central control.

(At some point I want to see if I can reuse some of the (wired) zone valves from my now removed upstairs underfloor heating as zone valves for the radiators that replaced it. It was old Nu-Heat pipes that rotted.)

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Are you saying that you could, in theory, retain the wax capsule to provide temperature control, and just use a motor to rotate the whole thing at the on and off times?

That would probably be more expensive, and wouldn't allow you to set different temperatures at different times of the day - but simply to turn it on and off at whatever temperature the wax bit is set at.

I assume that these Pegler jobbies fully close the valve during OFF periods, and control it during ON periods in order to achieve the set room temperature. I wonder whether they apply analog proportionality in the same way as a normal TRV, or whether they just fully open or fully close the valve.

On the power and zone control issue, it would be nice to see a cabled version - with the cable both carrying power from an external source and providing a switching function to drive boiler demand.

Reply to
Roger Mills