Hylomar

Had a new tube of Hylomar lying around, still in its box - probably bought a couple of years ago. It is a non setting gasket compound originally developed for Rolls Royce. It has gone rock hard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

They've probably changed the formulation over the years, for certainly I've had ancient tubes remain useable.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That's not good, then :-( That stuff used to do a decent job... I've not yet found an equivalent here in the US. I did have one engine (in the UK) that someone had gooped up with regular old silicone - a large chunk broke off internally, blocked a waterway and caused the head gasket to fail. Was less than happy!

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I think it is now made under licence by more than one company. But you're right - I had some in a near empty tube which was still ok. Perhaps H&S or whatever has required a solvent change?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's very good at blocking carb jets and oilways too. I think ye olde British biker, used to leaky, badly fitted cases, and paper gaskets, tended to go a bit OTT when the newer methods came along. I for one remember smearing a crank case gasket on a my Ducati, with a bit of RTV 'just to make sure': it dissolved parts of the gasket and leaked like a sieve, so I soon had to do it again - with just a smear of grease on the gasket...

Spamlet