Problem Deciding !!

Hi,
I am thinking of getting either a Nokia N95, E5 or X6
Would anyone like to comment please ?
I have read some reviews on different websites, but I often wonder if they are honest or just rantings of the mad few
Jim

Maybe try one of the mobile phone groups to get a more targetted reply? Alan.

the_constructor wrote:

IME, people who like these things just get on with it, while the ones that don't rant.
If I ever find a replacement for my Nokia 9500, I'll be happy. It *must* do fax, and the services that send me an e-mail saying "You've got a fax, please check your e-mail" are no use at all.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson wrote:

Where do you feed the paper in? ;-)
Tim
Tim Downie wrote:

Into that handy HP Laserjet ovet there, as long as it's got the IR enabled. As I found out by accident in a random office a few years ago. I've seen a Canon BJC-70 driver for it, too.
Or, I can just forward it to that handy fax machine over there.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson wrote:

who actually uses faxes any more?
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 12:24:35 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

people who struggle to scan and email.
Jethro wrote:

Why do several things when one will do?
If you scan a document (Say a rough sketch or a draft contract) in, convert it to a graphics file, attach it to an e-mail, then send me the e-mail, I need to download the e-mail, open it in the appropriate application and then print the attachment, assuming you've sent it in a compatible format that I can read. Or you could just put it into your fax machine, dial my fax number, and it comes out of my fax machine at the same time, give or take a few seconds, without all the faffing about in the middle. You also *know* that I have received it, as my fax machine sends a confirmation code on successful reception.
Assuming a tenner an hour, transmitting an e-mail with a scanned attachment costs both of us about a quid, whereas sending a fax costs both of us pennies. A few seconds for you to to out the document in, dial the number and walk away while the fax is sent, and walk back a while later to collect the confirmation slip, and I walk over to the fax machine when it beeps to let me know there's a fax.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Me, my solicitor, our traffic office......
Anyone who needs to get an accurate, traceable copy of a document from here to there more or less instantly. People will act on a fax immediately, and if the original is "in the post" many companies will take a fax a proof that a contract exists.
There are one heck of a lot of fax machines still out there in regular use, which is why Canon still do the cartridges for their inkjet faxes from the late 90s, while they dropped the ink cartridges for the same age printers years ago.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson wrote:

yeah. I sued to take documents scan em supermipose a digital sigimage and auto-fact them back.
These days they e-mail me a PDF and I do the same ;-)

I havent used one or needed to use one for over ten years .
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

And because you don't need or use one, you can't see why anyone else should, either?
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson wrote:

No, I was genuinely curious as to who still did.
Most written material is now computer generated, so sending it as an attachment is no big deal.
And because digital; signatures are so easy to forge even with faxes, there is nothing more legally acceptable about a fax. If you want real signatures you need to get a a piece of paper signed in front of a legal beagle to witness it. And sent by snail mail or equivalent.
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 16:35:34 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Aye, though the witness can be anybody who knows you really are who you are proporting to be and has not other interest in the proceedings.
I don't know if a FAX can be considered legally binding, it's pretty easy to forge the numbers that are printed on the page(s). I'm sure if FAX was legally binding conveyancing would still be using telex to say the funds have been moved etc and yes you can hand the keys over... Telex can ask the far end for it's identity and get a response back, it's not easy to change the numbers given by that response. AFAIK the "transission report" that a FAX machine prints out only contains the numbers it has been locally told to use (it's number and/or the number it called) it doesn't contain anything that it has obtained from the far end.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

The telex modems that we used to use had PROMs with the answerback, a BT Puma(?) that I rescued from a skip allowed me to change it from the keyboard, once I'd figured out how to get it into config mode.
But certainly as you say, with fax, you can essentially change it at will, call by call.

Wha', fax machine? I use ours (Canon MX700 printer/scanner/fax) to ask for my monthly prescription.
I also needed it to reliably send a request to Wells Fargo Bank to transfer some dosh from one account to another.
Freaking Septic banks. The *only* way I could get dosh from WFB back to the UK was to write a WFB $ cheque and go down to my bank and present it for deposit. No problem - they give you a particular form to complete to go with it, and the dosh appears. Astonishing.
--
Tim

If I ever need to complain, a fax to the MD's office (if you can find the number) seems to get attention, unlike e-mails.
Although I use this computer to send them - not a phone. ;-)
--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

the_constructor wrote:

The problem with these personal views is that they are often completely contradictory. One owner will say that the particular handset is the best thing since sliced bread - and another will say that it's terrible.
I have a Nokia 5800 Xpress Music and I bought it mainly for the free satnav (which is very good!). I have had the phone for a couple of years now and it has been trouble free and I like it a lot. I have no experience of the three phones that you are considering and so cannot help you there.
--
Kev

I have a N95, and in general am pleased with it. The camera is good - but not quite as good as the figures suggest.
Main complaint is the buttons are rather small for my fingers.
The sat nav tends to have problems 'seeing' a satellite. This could be a problem with my particular set, as it's also a bit fussy about picking up a Wi-Fi signal. The radio, however, works pretty well.
--
*Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?

I used my fingernails to press keys cos my fingers are fat. Sometimes GPS would pick up satellites almost immediately but far more often would have problems which seemed to be sorted by a re-boot.
On 28/06/2011 07:58, the_constructor wrote:

Personally I have had trouble with Nokia's software with Windows 7 64 bit.
Nokia is currently changing direction. I would do some research on future support for current Nokias before going for one.