[Probably OT]-Button batteries

There are a lot of button batteries out there with the same diameter and voltage, and which differ only in the thickness of the battery. If you buy a card of them, there'll often be 2 each of 4 sizes.

I invariably only want one size, and the others are completely surplus to requirements, which seems a waste.

The difference in thickness is sometimes minor, so is there any particular/dangerous reason why I can't use one of the others (assuming it fits in the battery compartment without forcing anything)?

Reply to
HVS

If it's too thick, you wont be able to close thelid, if it's too thing it probably won't make an electrical connection.

I've never seemn batteries sold as mixed sizes,

Reply to
charles

With thinner ones you can sometimes add some packing to make it up to the normal thickness.

Reply to
John Rumm

Nahh.

You can take a too-thin one and shim it with something conductive, avoiding the side where the shim could cause a short.

I wouldn't use the cheap&cheerful cells from the poundshop blister with twenty cells on anything where a leaking cell would be more than a minor annoyance, though. Car key fobs can be very expensive, so that gets a fresh, new, brand-name cell...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

+1. Branded ones in all sizes are readily available from eBay, and not expensive. I'll just buy a pack of four if I want a single one.
Reply to
newshound

charles expressed precisely :

Poundland do them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

And with care genuine branded ones are available from eBay as well!

Reply to
mm0fmf

I always buy Renata ones from eBay, used to be in boxes of 10 now on "cards". 90% of the time its a 377 in a watch.

Reply to
Robert

I've never seen the point in those mixed packs of button cells, though I've bought one of coin cells: CR2016/25/32 - a reasonable selection.

It's still better to buy the ones you want, though singly or in pairs from ordinary shops is very expensive.

I buy Duracell LR44 button cells through Amazon - £5 or so for 10.

Reply to
Max Demian

When you buy 12 button cells for £1 it makes your Duracell look expensive.

YMMV

Reply to
Fredxx

And when you replace the one in your car fob every eight weeks when the branded one lasted years, buying 12 for £1 looks like somewhat less of a bargain.

Reply to
Scion

We have a timer which uses a tiny cell (not to hand and cannot remember exactly which size). The original cell didn't last very long, nor did replacements. A few weeks each. I happened to have some next-size-up cells and found they would just fit. (The lid of the receptacle is awkward to turn with the thicker cells.) But they last many times longer - months.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

That depends on the profile and the spring inside. Some,like tie clip mikes can have a big spring, while other low profile things like clocks tend to not have, and the edges are often used as the contact. You can buy all of the correct type though on a card with a kind of rotating dispenser for quite reasonable prices.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I'd never buy any battery from them. Most are rubbish in my experience. I buy from boots in the main and have found the life to be much greater, plus you can get them in larger amounts and they will keep. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

You are kidding right? Every Poundshop has them! (other brands available). Finding a friend who wants some other size and doing a swap might work but so many watches use the same size cell :(

Reply to
Martin Brown

I've only been in a Poundshop once and I wsn't looking for batteries.

My watch hasn't had a replacemnt battery since I was given it, 15 years ago.

Reply to
charles

Max Demian expressed precisely :

I keep a £1 pack of both the small ones and the larger ones, in the drawer. They are not quite as good as the expensive ones, but they work.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

It happens that Scion formulated :

The £1 CR2016's have lasted years.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Brian Gaff (Sofa) formulated on Tuesday :

The black and red Kodak multiple AA and AAA carbon cells are absolute rubbish. I find the orange/black alkaline version sold by Home Bargains work well for most things.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

They do seem to have a pretty good shelf life so will get used eventually?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News