Priming plasterboard with SBR prior to tiling

I have to tile some plasterboard over a bath with shower. I know there are ongoing debates about the advisability of plasterboard in this location / using pva or special tiling primers.

In this case, the plasterboard is already there so I was thinking I'd prime it with SBR:

Anyone done this? Is it likely to do an acceptable job?

Reply to
mike

On Wednesday 06 November 2013 21:44 mike wrote in uk.d-i-y:

It will not do any harm - tile adhesive loves SBR.

In fal BAL Greenstar tile adhesive recommends *new* polished plaster skim

*is* primed with SBR.

However, the PB is going to drink it like a fish and while it will help, it will not make it 100% waterproof.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I never bothered and professional tilers never bothered. As long as the grout is waterproof, the tiles are. What is the point?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would suggest using an admix waterproofer in the grout mix. (Also helps stop dirt getting into the grout surface which can subsequently go moldy.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel