price of glass?

Hi a neighbours kid just kicked a ball over the fence and broke a couple of panes in my greenhouse. What's the going price for a couple of panes of horticultural glass 2' X 2' ? Ron

Reply to
Ron

There is an acrylic sheet that is used for green houses and things, and it is supposedly far stronger than glass. I don't think it is that expensive either, so a web search for Horticultural Acrylic Sheet or Glass might be worth a shot. Saves it getting broken again.

Reply to
BigWallop

You seen the P&P charges for that stuff? And I live in Scotland so they add £12 extra. Ron

Reply to
Ron

IIRC, around a tenner each, last time I bought some. Call around your local glaziers.

If you've got some epoxy, mix up 1ml or so. Now, take a wire, and smear some along the edge of the crack. Put some selotape across the crack, with some tension on it, to pull the crack together, in several places. Now, flip, and do the other side. Leave for a day to set.

Works well for me.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Mine broke not long ago also. I got some clear acrylic sheet from B & spew, about 9 or 10 quid a sheet - enough for 2 panels in each sheet. It hawks itself as being 8 times stronger than glass, but is really quite flexible, so I needed some more of those little s-shaped peices of metal to hold the top & bottom edges in (stop them bowing out).

Seems alright though, claims not to discolour, and its as see through as the glass.

Don't get the clear polystyrene sheet, it's not suitable for external use by all accounts.

Cheers.

Reply to
conkersack

Horticultural glass is about =A310 per square metre - half the price of float glass and looks prettier.

Reply to
biff

Horticultural glass is float glass, that is, made by the float process.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I had the same problem last year except two panes got broken cos a cat was asleep when I disturbed it and didn't notice the door was open when it dashed off to escape me, straight through the "wall", breaking two panes (don't know how) hell of a bang and I was surprised to see it still running afterwards....

anyway...... they cost me about a fiver each at the local glassworks.....

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

When I said that horticultural glass was about half the price of float glass I meant the glass that they sell round my way (Lincolnshire, where the glass glasshouses grow) called horticultural glass that is actually drawn or rolled glass. It is not quite flat, there are slight distortions in it that do not occur in float glass. I'm not sure but I believe most of it is imported from Poland and Russia. It is about 3mm thick and cost =A310 per square metre. With float glass the 4mm is now actually cheaper than 3mm. This is because 4mm is made in much larger quantities and the economies of scale overide the slightly greater materials cost.

Reply to
biff

Last time I bought some it cost about 3-4 quid for a 2x2 panel

Reply to
chris French