Pressac boxes

I am trying to use some of these for LAN faceplates, using the usual

3.5mm screws for the faceplate. I got as far as being ready to fix the faceplates but couldn't even get the screws to start. The seller suggests that this is normal, that the screws are intended to cut their own thread - am I missing something?
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

sure they are not still BA threads?

anyway an M3.5 tap is always handy

The Natural Philosopher

If they're intended for use with BT Lineboxes then newer Lineboxes come with self-tapping screws. Older ones came with 3.5M electrical pattern screws and brass inserts to screw into.

Another example of petty cost-saving

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com expressed precisely :

They were described as suitable for BT and LAN sockets, my LAN sockets arrived each with a pair of 3.5mm screws.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I have noticed some screws that seem to be hybrid screws and slef tapping having a kind of lead in sharp bit on the tip. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff laid this down on his screen :

The seller of the Pressac boxes has assured me this is normal and that the faceplates are supplied with self tapping screws - mine were not. He says he has had some unwanted boxes delivered in error, which have proper tapped holes and is sending me some of these.

Thinking about it - I fitted a new BT master socket a while back, which included a built in broadband filter, that used self tappers for the plate.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

"pressac boxes" presumably a make of back box that the faceplate mounts onto? The box would have to be PVC or metal for a self tapper to work. The hard, brittle, aldehyde boxes won't self tap and have brass inserts for 3.5 mm machine screws.

Tried fitting the screws without the faceplate getting in the way?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave Liquorice formulated the question :

They are a soft plastic and yes I tried them without the faceplates - no I still couldn't get a 3.5mm screw to start. The boxes I installed before I realised, I just used wood screws to fix the faceplates.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield