PP required to replace a wall?

Current situation is domestic corner semi with a 2' high perimeter wall, immediately behind which are 6-7' high fencing panels. The wall and the fence panels are in a bad state and need rebuilding / replacing.

Another problem is various feral chavs seem to like sitting on the wall, and using the space between the wall and the fence as a garbage disposal unit for their empty beer/vodka bottles and who knows what else.

The plan is to rebuild the wall to about 5' high, with 2' wooden panels on top (so it doesn't look too 'Prisoner').

The question is, do I need to bother the council for planning permission to do this, given that the overall height isn't being increased?

Reply to
Ian

It'll be quite tall then - I think you might if its over 2m tall Have a look at your council's planning website

Shame using feral chavvies as tagets isn't allowed. Someone's recommended stinky manure to be used as a detterrent.

Reply to
mogga

A higher wall/fence will more than likely just get pushed over. What you might consider is something like a Pyracantha hedge. You could start it off behind the fence, and when it's well enough established, remove the wall/fence, leaving just the hedge. This will be much more effective than the wall, and no one is going to try leaning/sitting on it (not twice, anyway;-). It will require regular pruning.

Planning permission is required for a fence/wall higher than 1m alongside a road (including alongside the pavement), or higher than 2m elsewhere, or of any height in a conservation area. Some estates have additional covernments covering walls/fences, including in some cases a complete ban on them.

Planning permission is not generally required to repair what's already there (which might be complete replacement with an identical one), again except in conservation areas.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for the replies. Although a natural solution would be nice I want low maintenance, and the area isn't so bad that the wall would be knocked down (I hope...)

Checked on the council website and over 1m requires PP, but.... 8 years ago the previous owner built an extension and the plans cover replacement of the wall, with the statement "pillars on walls with rounded top panels not to exceed 2.0m", although this wasn't done at the time.

Should I just apply for PP and be safe, or is this likely to be a painful hassle? (I've never tangled with the council planning department before)

Reply to
Ian

I am given to understand that PP lapses after four years if whatever it was granted for has not been implemented. As a private citizen, you should be able to have a chat with the local PP department without having to pay.

Regards JonH

Reply to
JonH

In article , Ian writes

As far as they are aware you already have a 2m high combined wall/fence so you are carrying out repairs on a like for like basis.

If you demolish all but 2 courses then it will obscure exactly how high the original wall was so you can build it back in whatever proportions you like but I wouldn't exceed 2m in total (6'6").

The suggestion of leaving 2 courses is to avoid completely removing the structure which I suspect may result in you requiring to re-apply for permission. Once you're down to that level I would say you could take part down to ground level to re-make founds if required and build in stages by length, just do not go down to ground level all in one go.

I see no reason to call unnecessary attention to your repairs.

If you don't need to apply then why pay the tax and incur delays?

Reply to
fred

I am under the impression that *once started* (& the OPs predecessor appears to have built the extension) all details are *approved* and implementable "whenever" - so I reckon that that paperwork would be a very "reasonable" defence should (and i very much doubt) he get his collar felt...

Maybe check with a non-council planning firm - quick phone call, butter em up, pop the easy question?? or just ring the council and ask a hypothetical question? It's a point of law rather than a subjective decision so they shouldn't need any details or addresses......

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK