Power supplier wants to fit smart meters?

Do they try to impose any rule that the meters have to be 1 metre apart?

Reply to
Scott

I think it means overcome a power stopping you. This is why women say they need to be empowered.

Reply to
Max Demian

As opposed to nPower and its impenetrable obfuscated bills. (or have they improved now)

Reply to
Martin Brown

That sort of sounds amusing! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Estimates I've seen are £11.00. People tend to stop taking any notice after the first month.

Reply to
bert

In article <qrlma4$33g$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield <?.?@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk.invalid> writes

Every electricity consuming device I have has a number on it followed by the letters KW. That tells me how much power it consumes as long as I leave it on.

Reply to
bert

In article <qrlo4j$crf$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, David Wade snipped-for-privacy@dave.invalid writes

That's what I've done. EDF

Reply to
bert

No it doesn't, it tells you the *maximum* power it will consume. Most equipment takes only a fraction of the power indicated on the plate most of the time.

Reply to
Chris Green

A smart meter won't tell you the average consumption of a device which is on a thermostat.

Reply to
Max Demian

does it matter if it's a Barn Owl or a Little Owl?

tim

Reply to
tim...

well I suppose if you have kids that could be a problem

but for the rest of us, unlikely to happen

but turning it on/off at the switch behind the TV stand every day is just too much hassle, whatever the saving.

I hate my PC making sounds at me, so only turn on the sound actively when I need it

Central heating controller PVR various things with visible clocks on cordless phone basestation(s) night light in hallway (fortunately the ambient light sensor works on this one, which It didn't on my previous one)

Reply to
tim...

ITYF that's: WE will ultimately pay for it twice over, over its lifetime.

whether as a specific individual you have one fitted or not

tim

Reply to
tim...

and how is that useful?

Other than to a thief?

Personally, I don't buy the theory that thieves are going to have remote access to meters and if they can read it manually then they have already broken into my property.

If a thief wants to know if my property is potential empty before trying to break in, he has a much simpler method than hacking my leccy meter. He can simply ring the door bell.

This risk factor is a tabloid/Hollywood fantasy

tim

Reply to
tim...

Years ago Eon gave away "intelligent" adapters that on one leg gave normal power and on the other leg switched off if the appliance wasn't being used. See

It needs to be trained to your remote so it will also turn on when you hit the remote for On.

I have a 4-way attached to that outlet so everything else that would require the TV to work (DVD player, Wii etc) is also off when the TV is off.

Presumably similar devices are available.

However my latest TV has a standby power consumption of 0.5W and given that the telly is on about 25% of the time (wife likes moving wallpaper) thats' about 3Kwh saving on standby over a year.

(Note to self: Powered on is 89W)

Reply to
AnthonyL

ISTR something like this being pitched on Dragons Den

I can't recall the result

well there's the rub

I need my WiFi and my PVR(s) to remain on even though the TV is off

I don't have a DVD player and certainly not a games console

tim

Reply to
tim...

I said Wii not WiFi, and my PVR is on the "always on" leg, rather pointless otherwise.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Power Safer PSX failed product Review and Teardown

They didn't get the investment, but went into production. Failed massively and hundreds ended up on the shelves of Poundland, A pound for for a useful supply of components.

Search for "Powersafer PSX" on ebay.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

still seems to be being sold new for 20 quid

the sellers obviously don't think it's a failed product

Reply to
tim...

I have a very similar one here - but it's marked "desktop computer" which is what is plugged into it. The other port has the monitor and sound system amp, so they get powered off when the PC is off (or in deep enough sleep).

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Actually it is almost physically impossible to hit the mains switch behind the TV without a 6' long pole and a great deal of skill.

Several brands of smart master slave sockets are available intended for PCs and TV/Hifi systems with numerous peripherals.

They have thought of that. Eon's free one has one master, one slave and one permanently on socket.

If you have no other electrical kit then it obviously won't help.

Reply to
Martin Brown