Power supplier wants to fit smart meters?

On 30/11/2019 14:40, tim... wrote:

Power Safer PSX failed product Review and Teardown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMfYSXaAj5k

They didn't get the investment, but went into production. Failed massively and hundreds ended up on the shelves of Poundland, A pound for for a useful supply of components.
Search for "Powersafer PSX" on ebay.
--
Adrian C

still seems to be being sold new for 20 quid
the sellers obviously don't think it's a failed product
On 30/11/2019 14:40, tim... wrote:

Actually it is almost physically impossible to hit the mains switch behind the TV without a 6' long pole and a great deal of skill.

Several brands of smart master slave sockets are available intended for PCs and TV/Hifi systems with numerous peripherals.

They have thought of that. Eon's free one has one master, one slave and one permanently on socket.

If you have no other electrical kit then it obviously won't help.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 30/11/2019 12:54, AnthonyL wrote:

I have a very similar one here - but it's marked "desktop computer" which is what is plugged into it. The other port has the monitor and sound system amp, so they get powered off when the PC is off (or in deep enough sleep).
Andy

Estimates I've seen are ?11.00. People tend to stop taking any notice after the first month.

--
bert

On 27/11/2019 09:01, Martin Brown wrote:

They didn't mention the VIR wiring then ?.

does it matter if it's a Barn Owl or a Little Owl?
tim
On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 08:37:03 +0000, pfj wrote:

I moved from E.on a few months ago for this reason (and the fact that they had jacked up the prices a lot; I had done some fancy footwork before and was on a very cheap tariff which expired in April).
So Energy have been trouble free and have actually just reduced my monthly payment. No meter compulsion and no exit fee.
Can't see the problems! Happy with mine.
On 27/11/2019 09:40, John wrote:

Until you realise that far from being 'free' you will ultimately pay for it twice over, over its lifetime.

But save much more on the wages of meter reading monkeys.
On 27/11/2019 21:17, Rod Speed wrote:

That benefit goes entirely to the utility supplier. It isn't a benefit for the consumer any more than having a Russian botnet able to thrash the generation 1 smart meter users on and off the grid to break it.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Not when they can offer lower rates when their costs are lower.

Of course it is when they can offer lower rates.

How odd that they don’t bother.
On 27/11/2019 22:20, Rod Speed wrote:

They could, but they won't. Prices for utilities are always quick to rise at the slightest excuse but seldom fall back again later.
They are offering bribes to get people to sign up at the moment but it is no use if you cannot get one because of mobile phone not-spots. Much like the dual fuel tariffs are no damn use if there is no mains gas.

Don't hold your breath.

Just because they haven't done so yet doesn't mean that they won't. It was a ludicrous vulnerability due to government incompetence.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

They already do.

Have fun explaining why some already do offer lower rates conditional on you having a smart meter.

Irrelevant to whether you can have lower rates if you agree to having a smart meter and the mobile coverage is fine where yours is.

Nothing like in fact.

Don’t need to, they do already.

The problem is that there is no point in doing that, so it wont happen, you watch.
And if it does, the security hole will be fixed.

Yes, but trivially fixable.
On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 09:14:08 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

Brides so they don't get hit by big fines from the goverment for not reaching the target of x million smart meters installed by y date.

Not that your get electricity any cheaper with a dual fuel tarrif, only gas.

Quite, though there are a few interesting tarrifs about that give cheaper/costlier electricty based on day of week and time. But a fixed pattern and fixed rates rather than a fully dynamic price/time tariff.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 28/11/2019 11:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Doesn't that depend on whether you have dual-fuel with BG, or dual-fuel with a leccy supplier ?.

The only interesting tarriff right now is the EDF one that supplies half-price units from 9PM to 7AM and all weekend, but I think you have to have an electric car, and possibly one that is leased from EDF if I have understood the latest adverts correctly.
On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 19:16:49 +0000, Andrew wrote:

mains

When I checked a while back for most suppliers the lecky part of a dual-fuel tarrif was the same a lecky only from that supplier.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 28/11/2019 19:16, Andrew wrote:

Peculiarly British Gas turned out to be the cheapest *electricity* only supplier for our village hall. Crazy or what? (no mains gas)
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

so then the consumer won't be asked to pay for it, will they?
there's no up front charge to the consumer and any additional running costs will be offset by whatever savings are made in the usage charges, which in case you haven't noticed, are subject to competitive pressure.
FTAOD I'm not actually in support of this project, just pointing out that you CAN'T claim that the companies will bank whatever savings do accrue for themselves whilst pushing all the costs to the consumer
tim