Power Brownout

I'd love to be able to d-i-y this!

On the 1st Jan the electric power here was cut for an hour. I notified UK Power. When it came back, the supply was a at pretty steady 160v. I notified UK Power.

Eleven days later and the supply is better but still below spec. UK Power keep telling me that they are working on it.

So this is the state of the supply network in 2024? Any thoughts?

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

I'd love to blame renewable energy, but this looks entirely like a network fault Probably a phase fault.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think they have adjustable transformer taps so they can vary the number of turns to get the right voltage. Perhaps this is broken, or perhaps it's being supplied from a backup transformer that isn't sized/tapped correctly?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

But nearly a fortnight, surely they ought to wheel in a temporary generator?

How widespread is the issue, just Peter, or 1/3 of his street? Does it show as a fault on the DNO's map?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I doubt that the problem is transformer taps as the voltage is continually varying over about a 40v range. At its lowest around 1300h and around 1800h.

The locals on my phase are all affected, Andy. I call the DNO every other day and they say that work is ongoing. "A 'ticket' is still open". There's no-one technical available to speak to about rogue back-feeds or whatever.

We had the same problem about 5 years ago. It took 3 years to fix the issue. Only then did an engineer visit my home to check things. Nothing found, but we chatted engineer-to-engineer and as he left he just dropped the comment that there was a back-feed on his network "map" which he couldn't see any technical reason for. I was able to explain why it was there, and confirmed that it wasn't there for technical reasons.

Obviously a conscientious chap, he was overjoyed with this information and rushed off to take out the back-feed. And did he rush. He even left his hard-hat behind! That solved a three-year lack of service - and no financial compensation paid. And I did ask!

So, does lightning strike twice? I hope not. I may not be around in

2027! A very poor situation. Cooking is unpredictable with the microwave ovens. The conventional oven can just get up to full temp after over 20 minutes. My mains-powered shaver tries to drag out each hair [OUCH!], fluorescents find it hard to strike - and then are flickering or just extinguishing. Incandescents are various shades of yellow. The minima are about 185v - which the fridge/freezer compressors seem to be able to cope with.

I don't need this aggravation - but where do I go next?

Reply to
Peter Able

local rag?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Have you tested their voltage? Is is above or below 230V? What you're suggesting is a O/C neutral at the substation, and other phases will be in excess of 230V

Who did you ask?

You need to make yourself a nuisance. Have you tried the Energy Ombudsman?

Fredxx

OFGEN

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you mean the locals on my phase, only one. The others were so obviously dim, I didn't disturb them. When I did a wide search of the neighbourhood during the three-year brownout I think that most thought I was a bit of a nutter. It is that sort of area! Not really a neighbourhood. Just households in a row - all living for themselves. At that time, IIRC, the other phases were slightly above normal (normal = ~242v). Oh, and I discovered that there were few houses on my phase. None of your "every third house"!

I would have expected more disruption from an O/C neutral at the substation - but, whilst being a retired electrical/electronic engineer, I'm not the most experienced power distribution one.

Why would you rule out an HV fault at the substation or a back-feed?

UK Power.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

More widely, we hear of levelling up the North. I can't but look at this without a degree of exasperation.

  1. Electricity regularly on the blink.
  2. FTTC delivering less than 8 Mbps average - with no priority for FTTP
  3. 4G at -110dBm - but even with this it still just beats FTTC.
  4. Had to pay a lot to get Gas into the house.

And the only thing I'm a couple of miles north of is our local London Underground railway station. Huh!

Reply to
Peter Able

I guess so - thanks

Reply to
Peter Able

OFGEM - The Office of Gas and Electricity Markets

Reply to
Scott

Gosh, it is some time since we had a local rag.

Reply to
Peter Able

Is it hazardous either in terms of safety or damage to continue to use appliances when the voltage is too low?

Reply to
Scott

It is a LONG time since there has been a local paper in these here parts!

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

Motors stalling - Freezer, fridge, central heating, shaver trying to pull out my individual beard hairs [OUCH]

Trip hazards when the fluorescent go out. Only one so far, but I now keep a torch in my trouser pocket. Good thing too as there has just been another, complete, power cut. Restored at 218V - but falling.

Hmmm. So this is 2024.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

Ours is still available but only *on line*.

Might be worth checking.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ask UKPN for a generator?

Reply to
Theo

That would be my suggestion.

Several years ago, there was a problem in our road.

A generator was put in place and supplied power to most of the road for perhaps two weeks.

As I recall, the generator was in place within a few hours of the initial problem.

I think there was a flood in a section of underground cable which feeds into the overhead supply to our road.

Reply to
Brian

I've followed your suggestion - and what was once a local (covering the whle county) paper is online.

However, it, as far as I can see, has precisely zero comments regarding its stories - which all seem to come from a Community Reporter.

Still, could be a start - Thanks.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

Do you have a Nextdoor group? This could be a good way of sharing intel and ideas.

Reply to
Scott