Possibly a bit OT - mounting pcb's

I've a couple of small pcb's for a project which have no way of mounting in box on stand-offs or anything else; one is a 12v psu taken from a walwart for instance. Has anyone tried using sticky backed velcro for such a task, or any other bright ideas.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Do you mean that there are no mounting holes in the PCBs, and no space to drill any?

Reply to
Bob Eager

You may well have already considered this, but it is amazing how useful a glue gun can be.

Djornsk

You dont say whether tehres a transformer on the pcb, thats a game changer. Nor why you cant mount it.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

If you've got a (conventional) transformer you can fix that against reasonable forces to a rare earth magnet

Reply to
newshound

I'd say that is easiest. Other possibles include sticky backed foam blocks.

Get from RC model suppliers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Beware. You will be driving the transformer towards flux saturation, and the AC field will in time de mag the neo magnets.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If the board has no holes and no space for them you could cut slots in the sides of standard brass standoffs (thickness of board) provided that you have enough space in your box around the edges of the board.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I'm not sure that is a good idea as you may reduce the current at which the transformer core becomes saturated. At best this will result in a small loss of effciency but in the worst case it could cause the transformer to overheat.

Reply to
Gareth

Hot melt glue gun...

Reply to
John Rumm

Add me to the hot glue fan club. It's not exaggeration to say that my HGG changed how I do home electronics. Even if you can't glue the PCBs directly into the box, you can almost certainly glue some spacers and holders in place to keep the PCB in place. Although make very sure you won't want to remove it afterwards. I've tried sticky pads, but found that they tend to harden over the years also, their strength reduces rapidly if they get warm - all the sticky stops sticking.

p.s.hot glue is also fantastic for sticking red/green filters over LED displays

Reply to
pete

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

The hot melt gun I hadn't thought of - that's great. Many thanks guys. My apologies if I wasn't totally clear - the psu is a switcher and I'll hot glue a couple of blocks to it and the main board so that they can be screwed in from the back of the box.

By the way I use the hot glue for mounting woodturning blanks onto a glue chuck (a sacrificial piece of wood that can be held in the main chuck) - and found that I got a better bond if I just put several bits of 'waste' wax glue onto the blank, and gently heated that up with the hot air gun (temperature adjustable variety) until the glue melted ... then assemble.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham