Possible to retrofit dry ridge system

The mortar on the ridge tiles on our bungalow is crumbling badly ... now rather than have it remortared, I was wondering how easy/possible it is to fit a dry ridge system.

Presumably you start with removing the old (curved) ridge tiles and mortar. However all the instructions I have seem show a length of wood either side of the ridge with no description as to how it got there ... I suspect this is for new builds ....

Has anyone done this job ?

Reply to
Jethro

There are 2 types of dry ridge system, 1, Roll out and 2, track. Either can be used on slates or tiles any "profile".

You first have to take off the top row of tiles both sides of the roof and the top tile or slate batten. In the Roll OUT type pack there is a pack of metal straps theses are fixed to the top of the rafter with one leg either side with the nails provided the other leg is wrapped over a length of timber which runs the length of the ridge apex again fixed with the nails provided. The top tile/ slate batten is re fixed and the tiles or slates re fixed, there is a roll of membrane with a corrugated edge both sides, this is rolled out the full length of the timber fixed to the ridge and tacked with felt studs or staples. On the underside of the corrugation piece there is a protective paper that is pulled off and the corrugations stuck down either into the profile or direct to the flat slate or tile. The ridge tiles are fixed with the joint profile seal pushed into the end of one ridge and the next ridge pushed into the other end of the profile. There is a screw hole in the joint strip and a screw with a stainless steel retaining clip Screw this through to the long timber until it clamps the ridge tight. Do not over tighten as you may crack the ridge. You may have to specify the type of manufacture of the ridge as not all ridge have the same radius

The track system is mainly designed for profile tiles but can be used on all types of roof covering. The same process used to fix the timbers the only difference is the track system., this as to match the make and profile of the slate or tiles.

Reply to
Kipper at sea